Carpathia's passengers and crew

Will

Jul 29, 2019
USA
hi Andrew..a potentially loaded question there.. if indeed you are speaking of the entire list.. which brings me to my question...does anyone know how many passengers were on the Carpathia that day ? ... what was the capacity of the ship ? thanks
According to the confidential list of the "North Atlantic Passenger Conference" which I am fortunate to have a set of from 1899-1967, CARPATHIA had on board 105 First, 30 Second and 294 Third Class when she departed NY Eastbound on the voyage in which she rescued Titanic survivors. The arrival of CARPATHIA back to NY with these survivors on April 18 is also noted with "ex-Titanic" passengers and crew listed as the following divided into classes: 201 First, 118 Second and 179 Third with 201 crew (total: 705) My guess is that these survivors were not actually considered to be first or second or third but were simply accounted for in whatever part of the ship they were put up in but there will always be some loose-end mysteries.

Will

Jul 29, 2019
USA
Greetings! CARPATHIA's passenger accommodation was 204 in second and as many as 2200 in Third Class-Steerage. Now, depending on which route she was working that accommodation was alternately designated First, Second, Steerage (on the Mediterranean services) or Second, and Third/Steerage (on the New York-Liverpool (very occasionally Liverpool-Boston) That 2200 figure is actual! It is confirmed both by the North Atlantic Passenger Conference figures and "Marine Engineering International" from 1909 which states that CARPATHIA set a record for number of steerage carried to the Mediterranean ports. Her Third Class/Steerage was made up of collapsible cabins that could be reconfigured with some effort, as well as open berth space "tween decks." I believe when operating as a three-class vessel the moveable cabins were the Second Class but I can't prove that yet.