Carpet Manufactuers

Apr 23, 2002
As far as im aware it was somewhere near where I live. Glasgow, possible i've heard Stoddarts. Im not 100% sure though.

Aug 22, 2002
In "James Cameron's Titanic", page 93 it states "In a subtle touch of authenticity, BMK-Stoddard of England, the company that supplied carpeting for the real Titanic, has re-created the weave for this eighteen-thousand-square-foot reproduction". I wonder what the going price for that was?!

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Apparently from talking to others by email and on this messageboard, the carpet seen in Cameron's Dining Room and Reception Room sets, from which that qoute refers to is not the orginal carpet. True, the Reception Room did have carpet but from what Eric Sauder said the one in this room was also not the orginal.

BMK Stoddard did supply carpet for the Reception Room, but they could not find the orgianl designs, so the production designers put in something in subsitute for both rooms. Eric also pointed out to me, that qoute above was used to make the movie seem more accurate, another selling point I suspose.

As for the Dining Room, from what others have told me, and now is since proven from recent dives to the wreck site the first-class Dining Saloon was tiled in some very colourful tiles the colours consisting of rich dark blues, reds and golds. It must of been a beautiful sight.

But you got to take in account that when Cameron was building his sets in 1996, there was limited knowledge about the interiors and unlike then all these recent dives from Cameron and top-notch historians new interior evidence has been discovered. But even today with all this new information, Cameron did a dam good job on his set.

There are colour post-cards of the Reception Room on D-deck of the carpet colourings on Olympic, but this may of be changed on Titanic, as we see there were different colours in most of her public rooms, ie, the first-class Dining Saloons and Smoking Room compared to Olympic.

All the best,

Nigel

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
Does anyone by chance have a picture of what the carpet looked like in the 1st Class Lounge and Reading/Writing Rooms? I'm attempting to import images into my model to help fill in certain things that I can't create (ex. carpet). Also if anyone has a picture of the floor tile pattern for the Grand Staircase/Lifts area I'd greatly appreciate it also. Thanks
happy.gif

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi,

Axminster did supply a carpet for the Olympic-class. The Dining Saloon was tiled, but the Reception Room was carpeted.

I'm confused though. There seems to be two companies now saying they supplied carpet for Titanic's D-deck Reception. Are BMK Stordard and Axminster to separate companies or are they joint?

I know Axminster was mentioned in the Shipbuilder Magazine of 1911 as the supplier of the carpet in this area. Or did BMK-Stoddard falsely claim they supplied carpet to the Reception Room while Cameron's film was in production? I rememeber being told that they could not find the pattern designs in their archives.

Nigel

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Nigel, though there is a carpet manufacturer which trades under that name, Axminster is also the generic name for a type of carpet weave first produced in the town of Axminster, Devon in the eighteenth century. Many companies, like BMK, have produced 'Axminster carpets' and it's still one of the best processes for high-quality patterned designs.

Mar 23, 2018
Hello all!

I work as the heritage and research assistant in Abbeyleix Heritage House, a small town in the Irish midlands. At the beginning of the 20th century, Abbeyleix was home to a very successful carpet factory. The owner of this factory was a close acquaintance of Lord Pirrie, director of White Star Line. Lord Pirrie commissioned the factory to make the carpets for the Titanic and while clearly none of the originals still exist, we do believe that we hold off-cuts of the original carpet as well as the original beams and equipment from the factory. We also hold in our collection a brass 'kicking plate' intended for use on the Titanic, which would have been placed along the bottom of cabin doors.

We would love to welcome any Titanic enthusiasts to our little museum if you are ever passing through the area. Heritage House Abbeyleix | Museum, Research and Model Railway

Reactions: Ellana