1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our social media, advertising and analytics partners who may combine it with other information you’ve provided to them or they’ve collected from your use of their services. More information
    Dismiss Notice

Casting the Ultimate Titanic Movie

Discussion in 'Actors and Actresses' started by Randy Bryan Bigham, Feb 28, 2001.

1. Some of us off-line have been competing on putting together the best-ever Titanic movie cast. Here's my idea of the ultimate All-Star Cast for a Titanic Movie:

THE CREW -

Tom Hanks................Thomas Andrews
    Sean Connery.............Capt. E.J. Smith
    Robert De Niro...........J. Bruce Ismay
    Michael Caine............Capt. Arthur Rostron
    Anthony Hopkins..........Capt. Stanley Lord
    Rufus Sewell.............Officer Wiliam Murdoch
    Ewan McGregor............Officer Harold Lowe
    Josie Lawrence...........Stewardess Annie Robinson
    Matt Damon...............Operator Jack Phillips
    Johnny Depp..............Operator Harold Bride

FIRST CLASS PASSENGERS -

Warren Beatty............Col. John Jacob Astor
    Ashley Judd..............Madeleine Astor
    Harrison Ford............Benjamin Guggenheim
    Christina Ricci..........Mme. Ninette Aubart
    Rosie O'Donnell..........Molly Brown
    Pierce Brosnan...........Sir Cosmo Duff-Gordon
    Emma Thompson............Lucy, Lady Duff-Gordon
    Julia Sawatha............Laura Francatelli
    Cate Blanchett...........Dorothy Gibson
    Anne Bancroft............Pauline Gibson
    Miranda Richardson.......the Countess of Rothes
    Toni Colette.............Gladys Cherry
    Antonio Banderas.........Victor Penasco
    Jennifer Lopez...........Maria Penasco
    Daniel Day Lewis.........Hudson Allison
    Kristen Scott-Thomas.....Bess Allison
    Anne Heche................Alice Cleaver
    Brian Dennehy............Major Archie Butt
    Carroll O'Connor.........Frank Millet
    Charlton Heston..........Isidor Straus
    Dame Judy Dench..........Ida Straus
    Rupert Everett...........Harry Widener
    Kelsey Grammer...........Henry B. Harris
    Jessica Lange............Rene Harris
    Richard Dreyfus..........Jacques Futrelle
    Annie Potts..............May Futrelle
    Jude Law.................Karl Behr
    Heather Donahue..........Edith Russell

SECOND CLASS PASSENGERS -

Hugh Grant...............Michel Navratil
    Denzel Washington........Joseph Laroche
    Juliette Binoche.........Juliette Laroche
    Robert Downey, Jr........Lawrence Beesley
    Susan Sarandon...........Annie Funk
    James Coburn.............Rev. Thomas Byles

STEERAGE CLASS PASSENGERS -

Michael Keaton...........Frank Goldsmith
    Michelle Pfeiffer........Emily Goldsmith
    Michael J. Fox...........Daniel Buckley
    Melissa Gilbert..........Rosa Abbott
    Liam Neesan..............Eugene Daly
    Kevin Kostner............Samuel Risien
    Cissy Spacek.............Emma Risien

Now this could be a whopper! Who would you cast in your dream Titanic flick?

2. Inger Sheil

Inger Sheil Member

Is Captain Lord outfitted with a bite prohibiting mask? ;-)

3. Jim Kalafus

Jim Kalafus Member

MELISSA GILBERT as Rosa Abbott? Given the insights from Phillip Gowan's postings on the topic, I propose that evil creature who played Nellie Oleson as Dorothy Gibson, with Catherine MacGregor (Mrs Oleson from the series) as Mrs. Gibson.

4. Well as much as I love Hugh Grant- he's about 35 years or more too old for Michel Navratil. We need a winsome toddler with curlylocks and a toothy smile and dimples. I must also have Meryl Strep somewhere in the mix-she can play anything and get the accent right. Ashley Judd is a bit long in the tooth for Madeline-I see Ed Asner as Mr. Straus with Olympia Dukakis as Mrs. Straus. I always see somebody fun but gracious and refined as Molly Brown- Bette Midler could do it- she's actually a very classy lady.I see Polly Walker as the Countess- she and Josie Lawrence were superb in ENCHANTED APRIL- and Polly is dropdead gorgeous. We need a Mrs. Candee- Julia Roberts? Is there a cameo for us? I want to be Miss Hays!

5. Jim Kalafus

Jim Kalafus Member

I want to be Mark Ross. Now there is a part into which an aspiring Ham Actor can really sink his teeth.

6. Shelley "Winsome, curly locks, toothy smile and dimples" the part was made for me and I should like to volunteer my services! As my old mate Cook always wants to be called Helen from now on, don't cast Mrs Bishop without calling him first, remember "Hell hath no fury like a Cookie spurned!"

Geoff

7. Steve Arnold

Steve Arnold Member

I'd suspect that Mr. Grant is being cast as Michel Sr.

Please, let's not leave out the Thayers. I'll nominate Elijah Wood as Jack.

8. AHA! Clever Steve. I suspect you are right- somehow, I need someone more -er... French. But Geoff- there IS an opening for The Titanic Baby- Frank Aks. He told me he was a dimpled darling and an adorable armful. He also said once that he weighed 13 pounds at birth. His poor mother! If you have the strawberry birthmark-the part could be yours!

9. Russell Crowe as Officer Lightoller sounds interesting to me. Can we get Arnold Schwarzenegger in this movie somehow?? He can be Fireman Barrett.

10. Hmmm, Tom Hanks as Thomas Andrews? Can he do the accent? And isn't Christina a little young for Mde. Aubart? I think Victor Garber did a very nice job as Andrews and I wouldn't mind seeing him reprise that role....
    P.S. I don't mind seeing Harrison Ford as anyone in a movie

11. Tom Hanks can do anything Elaine. Did you see him in "Castaway"? He was very good. I agree though, Victor Garber was wonderful as Thomas Andrews. Maybe we could find Tom another part. How about Tom Cruise?? Can we squeeze him in?? Ben Affleck s/b Harold Bride, so he and Matt Damon can work together. Johnny Depp is too wild for Harold Bride.

12. I think Tom Cruise could possibly be R.N. Williams, Jr. Yes, I agree Tom Hanks can do anything with a shelf full of Oscars to prove it.

I'm sure we could find Ben and Matt parts SOMEWHERE in this movie, as there were over 2,000 people on board. Maybe Ben could be George Harris? Just a thought...

13. Ben Holme

Ben Holme Member

What about

Robert Carlisle............Hugo Ross
    Arnold Schwartzenegger.....Cheif officer Wilde
    Matt Damon.................Sitxth officer Moody
    Nigel Hawthorne............George D. Widener
    Ben Affleck................Harry Widener
    Meryl Streep...............Lucile D-G
    Roger Moore................Sir Cosmo D-G
    Tom Cruise.................Washington Roebling

14. Hey Ever'body,

These are all great! I especially like the idea of Ben Affleck and Russell Crowe taking parts. And Tom Cruise too. I also have lately thought of Jeremy Irons. Also Glenn Close. But who could they play? Mind you - Irons must not molest and Glenn cannot boil rabbits.

It's true Johnny Depp may be too weird for Bride, though I was calculating without the claws-for-fingers thing.

In the same vein I am counting on Anthony Hopkins not bringing his cannibalism kick to the role of Lord.

Julia Roberts is too young for Mrs. Candee. Maybe Dixie Carter? But Polly Walker would indeed be a great Countess of Rothes. ("Enchanted April" is one of my favorite films. Whenever I need an uplift or want a vacation and can't take one I watch that movie and dream of someday finding that Italian castle by the sea!)

Randy

15. David Macallum deserves a reprise- and Anthony Andrews is just right for an officer. Surely Robert Wagner deserves another chance- as long as
    twitching to the Navajo Rag is not required. Sean Connery is SPLENDID for Smith- am still sighing over the white beard from Hunt For Red October- no mortal should age so delightfully.

16. I don't know who Polly Walker is. I can't picture a person for that name. Thinking on Molly Brown though, I'd leave Kathy Bates in that role, she did it so well. Ben, I like Ahnold as Officer Wilde. He's a big guy. I'd love to see Dixie Carter in the movie, I think she's great. How about Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward as Mr and Mrs Strauss??? Wouldn't they be great? Could we throw Richard Gere in here?? Maybe Officer Murdoch?

17. Kenneth Branagh(sp?) as Archibald Gracie?

18. Sam Brannigan

Sam Brannigan Member

Ok! Here goes!

Captain Smith: Patrick Stewart (after 2600 Big Macs, a wig, a beard and an intensive Mote Cristo smoking course)

Wilde: Ray Winstone
    Murdoch: Robert Carlisle
    Lightoller: Mark Spitz
    Andrews: Liam Neeson
    Ismay: Richard E Grant/ John Cleese
    Rostron: Clint Eastwood
    Lowe: Joe Pesci
    Annie Robinson: Patricia Quinn (Magenta in the Rocky Horror Show)
    Bride: Jude Law
    Man in womens clothing: Leonardo De Caprio

JJ Astor:Sean Connery
    Madeleine: Christina Ricci
    Countess of Rothes: Kate Winslet
    Duff Gordon: Corin Redgrave
    Lucille: Dame Judi Dench
    Margaret Brown: Barbara Bush
    Isador Strauss: Ben Kingsly
    Ida Strauss: Spocks mum in Star Trek
    Jaques Futrelle: Stephen Fry
    Jay Yates: Nigel Hawthorne
    Lawrence Beesley: Hugh Grant

Well, it's a start!!

19. Don't forget Charlotte Cardeza.

Joan Collins or Susan Lucci would be great. Either one would probably love the chance to wear some of Charlotte's dresses.

20. Sam, I love Leo as 'man in womans clothes'!!! Also Clint Eastwood as Captain Rostron is genius!