Casual trousers in 1912 Did blue jeans exist at the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
Weren't they invented by Levi Strauss around the time of the California Gold Rush?

At any rate, they were considered "work pants" for many, many years and it probably wasn't until WWII or so that they became a staple of a casual wardrobe, first for men, then for women.

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
I thought this topic had already been resolved insofar as the original Levi Strauss canvas jeans clearly date back to the 1850s. I also seem to remember raising a related point about the United States army wearing dark blue tunics and light blue trousers - the lighter shade of blue being presumably because they were wearing "jean-type" products?

Chad Goodwin

Aug 2, 2006
god the Horrors of the 70s.......anyone remember the smell of hot polyester??????I remember the pants that when they got too hot they started to melting......when I was a teen you wore your jeans tight and with the ends rolled up to show your socks....or lack there of socks.....Fashion in the 70s died............polyester silk shirts........corduroy jeans.....buster brown shoes.......i had two older brothers.....we had our portraits made in 1974.....my father had a brown leisure suit.....my oldest brother wore a lime green leisure suit....my middle brother had a gold leisure suit and I had a hideous burgundy one....and we all wore white wide belts and white platform shoes......me in my Dorothy Hamill haircut.....god i hate the 70s

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I remember the pants that when they got too hot they started to melting......<<

I remember U.S. Navy uniforms which were made of polyester, all of which were quickly banned for use on a ship when it was found out...the hard way...that they melted when exposed to a fire. This made for some pretty nasty burns to which injury was added to insult by the need to scrape the melted material out of the wounds.

Aly Jones

Nov 22, 2008
Australia
What year was the jeans invented?and what country jeans came from?it can't be 1912 or before 1912 cause i never ever seen pics from that period with people ever wearing jeans,normally men wear black slacks every single day and women never wore pants anyways.
I really can't imagine captain smith or lowe or lights or moody in a demin blue clothes.
The answer is probelry on the first page but i don't know how do get on to the first page!

Ben Lemmon

Feb 6, 2008
Wearing blue jeans as we do today didn't gain popularity until around the 1950's. However, they were created long before that, For a brief history of jeans, look at this Wikipedia article.

My grandfather still doesn't wear blue jeans, despite the popularity of such an item of clothing. He was born a while after the Titanic sank, and it still did not affect his generation in terms of style. I hope this helps.

Aly Jones

Nov 22, 2008
Australia
I never of thought jeans were invented before 1912,i never seen a pic with a man wearing jeans from that period.
Would of james moody and other officer's may of wore jeans maybe a couple of times?this is very interesting.Ben yes it did help alot thanks!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Would of james moody and other officer's may of wore jeans maybe a couple of times?<<

Maybe at home of they were doing some kind of heavy work in or around the house. The idea behind jeans was to have something for working men in trades extremely destructive to clothing to wear which was tough but cheap. Since jeans were and still are made out of canvas, that solved the problems of cheap and tough.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>So jeans were not for fashion like these days but they were for hard heavy work for the house.<<

Jeans most definately were not for fashion, though their use was hardly limited to work around the house. I merely stated that if some of the officers had some, this would be the most likely application they would have in mind.

For most, they were intended as durable but reletively inexpensive working clothes for use in places like mines, factories and shipyards or other industrial occupations which are very destructive of clothing.

May 3, 2005
How long has (or did) the U.S. Navy issued blue denim type trousers , similar to "blue jeans" for the working uniform for the lower ranks ? Do other navies and steam ship companies use the same type material ? I understand the U.S.N. has recently started a new type uniform which may supersede this type working uniform ?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>How long has (or did) the U.S. Navy issued blue denim type trousers , similar to "blue jeans" for the working uniform for the lower ranks ?<<

Don't know for how long but I remember the so-called "Utilities" that were issued in the late '70s which were amazingly unpopular. The chambrey (Jeans) were among the first items snapped up at the uniform shop as soon as graduates from boot camp got over to the Naval Training Center or out in the fleet. I think they only stopped issuing them in favour of the latest working uniform about five years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.