Catherine Beatrice Cheape Cay

Apr 1, 2005
Hi Iain,
as far as I know Bently, or Bently manor/estate lies between Bromsgrove and Redditch. I don't know the area that well so I could be wrong.
Thanks Craig for the research, very interesting, I've been busy so I haven't had time to check it out further,there may be nothing in the fact that Catherine was in scotland, could have been fox hunting ,checking on her fathers land at wellfield,or just a long visit with the thomson family. It would not have been unusual to have left the child with a nanny. I will contact you if I come up with any more .
regards Malcolm

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Malcolm,

As you say, Catherine could have very many reasons for being in Scotland in 1901, and probably we will never know.

Hi Iain,

I'm not at all surprised that Bentley and Bradley are near one another. I did wonder if Charles Robert had settled in Bradley, and in doing so happened to meet Catherine Cheape socially. To be truthful, I could not think of a reason for Catherine travelling to America that would enable her to meet Charles. Meeting in the area she was living does make sense. I think I shall have to see if any of the local papers make reference to Catherine's wedding, they may give more to the story.

Best regards
Craig

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
Google-ing Christopher Rhinelander Robert brings up a ton of info.

This link deals with the suicide of Christopher Rhinelander Robert II
http://www.spoonercentral.com/Mastics/CR.html

A brief bio of Christopher Rhinelander Robert, the First:
http://www.famousamericans.net/christopherrhinelanderrobert/

A link on the university the family founded in Istanbul:
http://www.robcol.k12.tr/library/about_us/about_lib.htm

More Robert Family history:
http://www.spoonercentral.com/Mastics/Robert.html

The thing is that none of this info mentions a Charles Lee Robert or an Arthur Remingdon Robert. The first Christopher Rhinelander Robert had sons named Frederick and Howell, while CRR II left stepsons but no natural sons. Perhaps his stepsons took his name? Otherwise, Charles Lee must have been from a different branch of the family.

Regards,
Brian

Aug 5, 2005
I am trying to contact Malcolm Cheape as I have a very distant connection to the Cheapes. My great grandfather was a Scottish artist who painted many of the hunting fraternity's dogs and horses. I think he painted Mrs Cheape too. I certainly have a picture entitled Bentley manor in winter with a very distant figure purporting to be Mrs Cheape! Thanks Drummond Mansbridge

Apr 1, 2005
just a note to say i looked up tardebigge church, which lies north of bently house, there was a family pew in the church[the bently pew]so it would appear to be the family church at that time.also a very interesting story about a ancestor who during a bet about who had the best butler [in the 16th century] beat his butler to death, he was put in prison for three months with no food or water where he was expected to starve to death, his wife was allowed to speak to him through a window but not take food to him but she had a young baby at the time and managed to breast feed him through the bars and he survived he is buried under the said pew.!!!

Chris Brown

Jul 19, 2007
Very interested to read through the family history of the Cheape's. Maud Mary Cheape (nee Hemming) was first cousin (once removed!) to my Mother-in-Law. She (my Mother-in-Law) remembers visiting Bentley Manor as a young child between the wars with her parents and describes it as a 'vast estate', which undoubtedly it was. Maud's Mother, Catherine Hester Hemming (nee Davies Griffith) was my Mother-in-Law's Great Aunt; if anyone is interested the family of Hugh Davies Griffith is detailed as the Caerhun Estates in 'Pedigrees of Anglesey & Carnavonshire Families' by JE Griffith (1914).

Troy Thompson

May 5, 2006
Hello, I am new to this site and found it looking up names of family.
My great,great grandfather was Llewellyn Rhun ( born 1850 died 1918) and was Catherine Hester Hemming nee Davies-Griffiths' younger brother by his father's (Hugh Davies-Griffith) second marriage to Georgina Walter in 1825.

Llewellyn Rhun married Georgina Hull in 1857 and had 7 boys including William Notley Davies-Griffith (middle child born 1886) who is my great grandfather. Llewellyn's sons decend in order from Hugh Charles b 1881, George Llewellyn b 1882, Owen Rhun b 1884, William Notley b 1186, Frederick Alred b 1887, Leslie Arthur b 1889 and Daintry b 1897.

If anyone is interested Llewellyn Rhun also had other syblings Fred Walter, Edward Stanley, Georgianna Augusta, Constance Emily, Adela Maria and Caroline Louisa who married Daintry Hollins. Any info for these people would be greatly appreciated as we have no idea what happened to them.

I'm obviously related to Malcom John Cheape and any info about the rest of the line after Catherine Beatrice would be greatly appreciated as I'm very interested to know if they live in britain because Llewellyn Rhun's family are in Australia.

I also noticed a posting by Chris Brown who mentioned the name Davies-Griffith. Any info regarding children or where your line comes from would be greatly appreciated. Kind Regards Troy

Troy Thompson

May 5, 2006
Sorry, there is a correction. Georgina Hull and Llewellyn Rhun weren't married in 1857, that was when Georgina was born. They married in 1880. And obviously William Notley wasn't born in 1186, he was born 1886.

Brian Carr

May 15, 2006
I know that the Cheapes were an established landed family in England, and the passenger list lists Catherine as "Mrs. Robert Cay of Golden, BC". Does anyone know what her age was, who her husband was, if she had any children, etc, etc?

I've just been sorting out some of my elderly fathers posessions and came across a silver cup presented to my great grandfather Tom Carr (Huntsman of the Bently Harriers) by the 'Squire of Bently Manor' Mrs Cheape on Jan 8th 1900, apart from a photograph of Bently Manor, I have no other information.

Apr 1, 2005
catherine beatrice was born 2 july 1875 at wellfield ,fife, her husand was A J Cay who had land at golden in bc if you can find a copy of the book 'the squire of bently' there is some info on your great grandfather.

Jun 24, 2006
I have a fair bit of research on the action which Cheape and Cay were killed in - the battle of Qatia on 23rd April 1916. I also have a picture of Albert Jaffray Cay if anyone's interested.

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
Malcolm - since we last visited the subject, have you managed to shed any light on what became of Catherine's daughter Dorothy?

She would have turned seventeen the year her mother died, so I suppose it would make sense for her to be at school somewhere and not living with her mother in Canada. Come to think of it, I've always wondered what Dorothy's living situation was all throughout her childhood, not just afterwards.

I really find the Cheape family history interesting. At first I thought it was strange that you knew nothing of your grandfather's sister's first marriage and daughter. But then I realized I'd be hard put to name the siblings of my own grandparents - forget about their offspring. That's what happens when you have a lot of space between the generations.

Apr 1, 2005
Brian- no sorry have not really had any luck yet re Dorothy. i agree with what you say about a lot of space between generations. In my case catherine was a great aunt, but i think the real problem is that of catherine’s 2 sisters and three brothers only 1 sister and 1 brother survived the first war, both lived in remote isolation in scotland, so any contact would have been limited, also as she was 17 she might well have been married fairly soon after or even moved overseas.
i will continue looking but i am sorry there is no more i can report malcolm