Catherine & Margaret Murphy

Jul 14, 2003
I have been looking up this two sisters who went with Titanic from Queenstown. I have read that they were followed by some friends. I have taken this from a page in the Internet;
Their neighbors, the name of them is uncertain, (I have narrowed it down to three names, Kiernan, O’Brien, and O’Conner), bought Third Class tickets for themselves on the Titanic, and then secretly bought tickets for Kate and Margaret as well.
Who were this boys? I have looked up theire names but I can't find them. Can anybody please help me in my search?
/Linnea

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Linnea,

According to the excellent book "The Irish Aboard Titanic" written by Senan Molony, it seems that it was John Kiernan who purchased a ticket for himself and tickets for the Murphy sisters. He had an intention of marrying Margaret, but sadly like many of the passengers aboard the ship that night, he did not survive.

Kate and Margaret were also accompanied by Annie Fleming, Philip Kiernan, John Farrell, Thomas Conlin and Michael Murphy. All of them were neighbours and every one of them was lost in the disaster.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Source: The Irish Aboard Titanic, by Senan Molony. Pages 163 and 164

Jul 14, 2003
Thank you for all your help, Jason!
I never thought I was going to find out who the persons that followed the girls were. Now I can keep looking up more facts about the girls... Do you know anything more about them that is interesting to know?
Thank you again!
/Linnea

Jul 14, 2003
Hello!
I had read their biographies but thank you anyway...
It must be a quite good book you got. Nice of you to look up it for me. I hope they have written anything more...
Thanks for helping me!
/Linnea

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Linnea,

Their is quite a lot more of interesting info in Senan's book, which makes up another three and a half pages. Also, there is a good photo of the sisters with Rose Murphy and a photo of Margaret with her husband Matt O'Reilly.

It is a very worthwhile book to own and I highly recommend it, if you are interested in purchasing it. Click HERE for Amazon's website which is selling several copies at reasonable prices. Just type in the title of the book in the search box.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif