Cave list

Dec 6, 2000
Still a rough draft. Shows fares paid [with Rail and room fares separate] and compares them with the advertised room rates. Done both as an overall and by room type. - Because of the file sizes, each page is in two parts.

Hope it may be of interest.

<table border=1>[tr][td]
attachment_icon.gif
1st Class - Fares&Room Numbers
1st Class - Fares & Room Numbers - part 1a.xls (32.3 k)[/td][/tr][/table]​
<table border=1>[tr][td]
attachment_icon.gif
1st Class - Fares & Room Numbers - part 1b.xls (28.7 k)[/td][/tr][/table]​

<table border=1>[tr][td]
attachment_icon.gif
1st Class - Fares & Room Numbers - part 2a.xls (26.6 k)[/td][/tr][/table]​
<table border=1>[tr][td]
attachment_icon.gif
1st Class - Fares & Room Numbers - part 2b.xls (26.6 k)[/td][/tr][/table]​

Dec 7, 2000
Andrew,

While I don't know the exact particulars, I'm sure the travel agencies/offices did have room to negotiate prices. There must have been a 'lowest' price for each class below which tickets would have been sold at a loss, but prices above that could vary.

The lowest for first class was roughly 26 pounds. Of course some cabins cost more than that, but it seems almost no one paid the full price, so obviously so long as the offices were charging at least the minimum price and a little extra it seems to have done the trick.

I guess it's like modern hotels today. They could charge any price for their rooms, even a $1 if they wanted to. Howevere they must have a minimum price range for their rooms which vary depending on the type of room. So often you see hotel rooms advertised at say $200 a night, but people can get these same rooms through special agreements or promotions for less than that.

Same with airline tickets. How often have you logged onto the website of a certain airline and done a mock itinerary and the price comes up far more than you can get either from a travel agency or other discount on-line booking agencies.

I'm guessing that the same sort of situations existed in the days of ship travel.

Daniel.

gordon atkin

Mar 18, 2006
Hello Lester
Thanks very much for sharing your research on advertised ticket prices etc.
I am sure once I have had time to study the details I will find it most enlightening!
Keep up the good work!!

Regards
Gordon

Oct 12, 2004
Thanks, Daniel....

That's pretty much what I would assume.

I wonder, as well, what effect the coal strike had on prices. Meaning, did it cause a higher volume than would have been expected, or was there a lower volume due to people not expecting to be able to travel so staying away from the ticket offices. I realize the strike was technically over at that point, but with people being transferred from other liners I would assume that volume was pretty low for the Titanic-specific ticket purchasers.

May 15, 2007
Hi, I'm a newby at this... please bear with me.

My great,great,great Uncle Algenon Barkworth boarded at Southampton on Wednesday 10th April 1912. He is not listed on the 'official' list of boarders at Southampton.. but had planned to spend a month in America. He's listed on the 'Cave' list of boarders at Southampton though? Was this a preferential service or he didn't want anyone to know he was aboard ? Any help/guesses would be appreciated

Dec 6, 2000
Hello Jeanette,

Welcome to encyclopedia-titanica.

I am not sure where you looked but your great, great, great Uncle is listed on the Southampton Boarding List BT 27/780B on the 2nd page of the 1st Class: British Passengers.
Below is a partial scan of the page.

I hope that helps,
Lester
120002.jpg

May 15, 2007
Thanx for your help Lester... I was right, I didn't look hard enough !

The page scan is great, thanks for your effort in helping me.

Jeanette Barkworth

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
How accurate was the cabin allocation information on the Cave List as compared with other sources? I realise that the Cave List mentioned only some cabin numbers; but let us consider only those names mentioned in the list. More specifically, The Cave List has the Spencer couple in Cabin B-76 where as most other sources have them in B-78.