Chambermaid on the Titanic

G

Gavin Murphy

Has anyone seen this? If so, what are your thoughts? It came out around the time of Cameron's film and is likewise a love story. I must confess, I haven't seen it, but it is sitting on my dresser. Should I see it or simply return to library unseen?

Rene--it is in French.......have you see it?

G

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Gavin, it's quite a fine film, but Titanic has very little to do with it. However, it does serve to illustrate the part Titanic plays in popular culture. It she'd been La Femme de Chambre du Baltic, the movie would never have been made.

The film explores the boundaries between fact and fantasy and we are sometimes left wondering what really has happened. Take your broad mind along, it's very French!

G

Gavin Murphy

Gents,

Thanx for this. I'll give it a miss, and watch again "All the Kings's Men". While not T-related, it is cracking good stuff.

As you can guess, my quota for flicks, video or otherwise, is rather limited.........I am pleased to report!

G

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Not that I recall. I think the man involved with the chambermaid merely hears of it.

See my earlier posting. The film is not about the Titanic affair as such. It only uses the fame of the ship in popular culture for its own purposes. The odd images of the ship are pretty cheesy.

Jun 12, 2004
Sort of like the Titanic (and ghosts) role in Ghost Busters II. The shot of it in this movie is barely enough to be suspended on DVD pause in order for the observer to take a good look at it.

Jun 12, 2004
Still, I haven't seen it. Before one knocks it, one should see it for one's self, if only to see for one's self. That's enough reason to see it for the first time.

Nov 26, 2005
I rented this movie once. Dave is right, it's a good film. But for a Titanic buff it amounts to about a zero. There's maybe two shots of Titanic at the Southampton dock and then it goes to someone hearing about the sinking. That's about all Titanic has in the movie. Why they gave it that title I will never know. It should have just been called "The Chambermaid".