Charles Lydiatt

Becky Byrne

Sep 14, 2005
Hello, I'm new here. Does anyone have any information on Charles Lydiatt, Saloon Stewart? My maiden name is Lydiatt. Thank you.

Becky Byrne

Sep 14, 2005
Thank you Jason. I did read the little bio on Charles. I also read the article "Had Letter Last Friday" that is on this site. It was sent to The Evening Telegram on Tuesday 16th April 1912 by his brother Sergeant George Lydiatt. It doesn't say where the Evening Telegram was published. I see it was courtesy of you? I live in South Dakota, USA, so will contact the Public Records office by mail. (isn't it wonderful we communicate so easily across the seas this way!) Thank you again.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
You're very welcome, Becky. I'm glad I could help.

The Evening Telegram was published here in Toronto, but it went defunct over thirty years ago. Yes, I contributed the article a few months ago. It's quite interesting, even though it doesn't provide a whole lot of information. Unfortunately, that's the only information I've been able to find to date on Charles, but I never stop searching for more.

Out of curiosity, are you related to Charles?

As far as communicating over the web goes, that's the beauty of it. People anywhere in the world can connect with each other, at the click of a mouse.

All the best with your request through the PRO. If you learn of any new info, it would be great if it could be added to his biography.

Becky Byrne

Sep 14, 2005
I'm not sure how I'm related to Charles. My great grandfather, Leonard Lydiatt was born in England and came to America around 1911. He and Charles were close to the same age, but I have no information on either one's parents. If I find anything more on Charles, I'll be happy to share it. I have noticed that quite a few Lydiatt's have settled in Canada. Mine settled in Nebraska, USA.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Sounds like a family mystery then. Have you tried going to any of the genealogy sites such as ancestry.com or genealogy.com to try your luck?

Whereabouts did some of the Lydiatt's settle here? Also, was your great grandfather the only one to settle in Nebraska?

Further to my info on The Evening Telegram; it was actually called The Toronto Evening Telegram, which was later changed to The Toronto Telegram. In 1971 it was shut down due to losing money, but several people from the newspaper started another one days later called The Toronto Sun, which still exists today.

Becky Byrne

Sep 14, 2005
There are Lydiatts in Calgary and they settled there around the turn of the century. My great-great grandfather came over from England with his wife who was a deaf mute and their 3 children. He had been married before and I have no information if he had children from a previous marriage or if he had brothers and sisters, but there seem to be quite a few Lydiatts around so he may have had some. I have seen the name spelled Lydiatte and Lydiate. I concentrate on the ones spelled Lydiatt because that name seems to be spelled the same through the generations. My dad's cousin told me it's French and the family came over from France to England during the Normandy invasion.

I have heard of the "Toronto Sun". I wonder if George Lydiatt lived there? I haven't had much luck with the genealogy sites because they charge so much and I don't want to pay! I'm most interested in Charles Lydiatt, I think, because he lost his life on the Titantic. I tend to think of him as one of the heroes.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Becky,

Interesting bit of family history there.

Yes, George did live here in Toronto, but apart from the article that's all the information I have.

I can understand about the genealogy sites, they do charge an arm and a leg just to search your family history. Agreed, Charles is an very interesting individual and he was one of the many that gave up his life, so that others may live.

Becky Byrne

Sep 14, 2005
i Jason,
9/8ust did another search on this web site and see that you submitted a picture of Charles Lydiatt. It is so small, that I wondered if the actual picture is larger and if it is, do y3ou have a way of scanning the photo and emailing it to me? My email is becky@lacreek.com. I would love to have a copy. Thank you. Becky

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Becky,

I was going to mention the photo, if you hadn't already seen it. I just contributed it a few days ago and it's from the article that I submitted earlier.

Yes, I can send you a larger version of the image and it would be my pleasure. I'll e-mail it to you as soon as I can.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

U

Unregistered

Hello, I'm new here. Does anyone have any information on Charles Lydiatt, Saloon Stewart? My maiden name is Lydiatt. Thank you.
I know this was a while ago but if you are still interested Charles Lydiatt was my 1st cousin 4x removed and I do have information on the rest of his family in Liverpool