Charlotte Caroline Collyer

doreen monks

Aug 8, 2010
I have just been to the Titanic Exhibition in Melbourne Victoria, my passenger was Charlotte Collyer, I really wondered about her little daughter and was pleased to learn that she also survived the ordeal. You just cannot imagine what it would have been like to have to get off the ship into small life boats in such freezing conditions. Beating all odds they survived and continued on with successful lives.

Apr 16, 2012
Well actually that was very lucky they both survived but they did not go on to live successful lives according to published info.  The mother died 2 years later in 1914 leaving the daughter to live with her distant uncle at the age of 10, where it is said she was very unhappy, then the daughter married in 1926 but soon after her husband died young and she remained a widow dying in the 1960s.  So very sad story, poor little girl went from having 2 loving parents to going through such traumatic experience and the being orphaned. Not the greatest lot in life, hope she is at peace now.   

Caitlin

Dec 23, 2013
I believe that letter was written to Harvey's mother, not Charlotte's-- it doesn't make sense the other way around.

Sandra Jones

Jan 19, 2020
Magda, slightly wrong with info. Yes, I agree that they all had such tragic lives. Charlotte didn't die 2 years later, but 4, dying in Nov 1916, and Marjorie continued to live on with the stepfather until his passing 3 years later in 1919. That's when she moved in with her uncle at the age of 15. It is sad that they didn't treat her the way she should have been treated and she stuck it out until she married, not in 1926 but 1927.