Chartroom layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Olguin

Mar 31, 2005
The Chartroom was made about twice the size of the original in order to be able to properly film in that space. Many of the sets were made larger than what they actually were in order to be able to film the space with all four walls intact, and not the standard 3-wall setup. While Cameron's sets were very faithful, the scale was somewhat exaggerated to make things appear grander (such as the grand staircase)

D

Diego Uriol

sorry for my english, i'm still learning and i don't know what chartroom means. Please, tell me

D

Diego Uriol

thank you robert, i really appreciate your help. ;)
diego.

May 3, 2005
There is a close up of the Chartroom on the "Special Features" of "Titanic Ship's Tour" on the DVD. [ It's on DVD #3 of my "Special Collector's Edition" of "Titanic" (1997) .]

The Chartoom is shown as it related to the Bridge (At least that's the way Cameron depicted it.)

Shown on the table is a chart showing the North Atlantic.

In the days before LORAN, GPS, etc., Sightings would be taken of the sun or stars to determine the ship's geographic position.Then these positions would be plotted on the chart.

When Captain Rostron received Titanic's distress call on the Carpathia, he most likely would have plotted Titanic's location -vs.- his own in working out the course to follow to the disaster location.

Nigel Bryant

Jan 14, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi guys,

I think the room that you are referring (just to be technical) to is called the “Navigation Room’’. The Chart room was located behind the Wheelhouse next to another small room, the Pilot Room. This was at first only a Titanic feature, but then was later arranged on the Olympic after her 1913 refit. The Chart room, I think was where Boxhall posted the iceberg warnings on a notice board. In reality, the Navigation room as Robert said was very small and it had only a side table with drawers and a couch.

Cheers,

Nigel

Status
Not open for further replies.