Chef named Heard or Whitehead

J

Jen Thorsen

Does anyone know of a crew member by the name of either Heard or Whitehead who was a chef on board the Titanic? He was my grandfather. My grandmother was married twice, her first husband (Whitehead) was my mothers father and when he died she married Heard whose name my mother took. My grandmother apparently destroyed his survivors certificate and so, with my mother having died recently, we do not know which of them was the seafarer. Any information would be gratefully received.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
J

Jen Thorsen

Thanks for that Michael. My sister has spent sometime on the web looking as well and she cannot come up with anything either although my mother was adamant that he was on board and was a chef.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Jen, wish I had better news for you, but that's just not what the records showed. Stories like this get going in various families and become an entrenched part of family lore whether there's anything to it or not.

Researching the people who sailed on the Titanic is a troublesome enterprise, and it didn't help much that a lot of the records put together at the time were just plain wrong. If you want an excellant resource on the problems, try getting a copy of Who Sailed On The Titanic by Debbie Beavis. A copy may be obtained from Amazon.uk at http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/071102880X/qid=1027660955/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_3_7/026-5608326-6926038

Dec 6, 2000
Debbie's book deals only with the Passenger Records. For a full Passenger and Crew List try: RMS Titanic Passenger and Crew List, by Hermann Soeldner.

Lester