Chief Officer Wilde

J

Jeffrey Beaudry

I've been concocting this idea for a while now, and I just did a quick search on it, so it may have been done already, but here it goes:

In many accounts, Murdoch is considered to have committed suicide after shooting (several?) passengers who stormed the starboard collapsible. But I've also heard accounts that he was seen after his suicide.
If he was later on, then who supposedly shot himself? (As you can see, I'm writing this on the pretense that someone did shoot themselves)
Perhaps it was Chief Officer Wilde, and not Murdoch, that shot himself. In the research article "Gunshots on the Titanic," it says that a Third Class Passenger named Daly and First Class Passenger named Rheims both saw an officer shoot himself, but didn't know who. And seeing as how no one seemed to have seen Wilde much that night, then maybe it was Wilde that shot himself.

W

Wayne Keen

I remember reading an observation, I think in "The Night Lives On", that stated that the fact that Wilde does not seem to have been seen that much that night makes him a candidate for many, but that lack of evidence does not make evidence.

Wayne

J

Jeffrey Beaudry

Thanks for all of the info, guys. You really answered some of my questions I had on the subject.

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
In 1988 or 1989 I saw a TV interview about the Titanic in which Walter Lord was one of the guests. This was a couple of years after his book The Night Lives On has been published. In the TV interview, Walter Lord specifically commented that he had further researched into events depicted in the "Shots In The Dark" chapter of that book and felt strongly that it was Wilde and not Murdoch who had shot 2 passengers and then himself.

Personally, I have always felt that Wilde was the more likely candidate for those events. Somehow Murdoch's character does not fit in with suicide.

Last edited: