What were the duties of the Chief Purser and Chief First Class steward on the Titanic when it was not sinking?
There purser had the following duties:What were the duties of the Chief Purser and Chief First Class steward on the Titanic when it was not sinking?
Thank you so much.There purser had the following duties:
The chief steward had the following duties:
- He managed the ship’s business administration
- Has to know the entire ship and it’s crew
- Needs to provide an answer to any question, a purser cannot afford to be wrong.
- Representative of the owners of the ship in all his dealings with the passengers from the time they embark until they go down the gangway plank at their port of destination.
- Discusses the menu plan of the day served in the first class dining saloon with the chef
- Safeguards deposited valuable items stored in the Milner safe, such as jewels and money. And with that the goodwill of it’s clientele
- Has the ship’s cargo manifest and other documents related to it in his possession.
- Has represented obligations at his own table in the dining saloon.
- If the captain would have to remain on the bridge, the purser would take his place at the Sunday service.
- Together with the first officer, the purser would draw up the boat-list in case of an emergency.
- Runs the cashier office and paid the ship’s crew for their hire.
- Administered the alcoholic beverages served on-board.
Responsible for all the stewards in first class.
Attending each dining seating’s to make sure it is ran smoothly