Children Dining

Jan 14, 2015
I know this thread has not been updated in quite some time, but I would like to point out for anyone else interested:

There were two Palm Court Cafe Rooms aft of the First Class Smoking Room and the starboard one seems to have been indeed converted to a children's playroom during the voyage. The details and the how/why I'm not too particular on. It was obviously only for children traveling first class. One was smoking (port side) and the other was intended to be non-smoking, but this was very unpopular on the Olympic and may be the reason why the non-smoking was turned into a makeshift playroom for mothers and children.

Kids under a certain age were expected to eat in the cabin. Once they reached another milestone they ate in the Dining Saloon pre-general serving time, as was mentioned above. Or they could continue in their cabin. In their early teens parents could elect for their children to eat at the table with them or not, and it was considered acceptable around 14 or 15. Someone can correct me on this. That being said, it was certainly family by family. Like today, children often had no desire to eat with their parents at that age: Jack Thayer mentioned how on the 14th he ate dinner alone after his parents were invited by others to eat at another table or in the A La Carte (he does not specify), whatever of which he was not invited to/chose not to attend so who knows.

"Last Dinner on the Titanic" by Dana McCauley and Rick Archbold has a lot of great information on dining customs and children specifically. I'd have to give it another read through, no doubt.

T

Talira Greycrest

What about menus? Was there a special Kid's Menu for each class or did the children eat the same things as their parents?

May 3, 2005
On a guided tour of Hotel Queen Mary the tour guide mentioned to some of the children in the group when the tour was in the First Class Dining Salon "You
would have to eat a peanut butter sandwich in your cabin."

T

Talira Greycrest

I might be wrong but I've heard that, on the night of the sinking, Mr & Mrs Widener were hosting a dinner party in the First Class Restaurant in honour of Captain Smith. Perhaps this is why young Jack Thayer had dinner alone that night.