CHILDRENS BOOK

Apr 23, 2002
I Was in a bookshop in Glasgow yesterday (think is it Ottakers?) and they had an excellent childrens book on Titanic as I passed the display.
I picked it up and looked through it. I wish I could remember the Title but it had really great illustrations throughout each page going through a timeline having drawings of Titanic with cutaways revealing the interior, etc. Excellent for any of you with young children, cousins etc to spark an interest for them.
Anyone else seen this book?

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
Greg, I think you're refering to Ken Marschalls' giant cut-away book "Inside the Titanic".
Avery good book to share with children.
Hope this helps! - Don

Nov 12, 2000
if it wasn't Ken Marschall's book, it might have been Steve Noons book, Story of the Titanic. that one is an oversized, but slender book that tells the story of teh sinking through cutaway drawings of what was happening inside the ship. it is one of my favorite children's books.

if you want to double check, there is an image of the cover on my website:

http://titanicbooksite.com/author%20pages/noonsteve.html

if that is not the right book, then I think you have me stumped as well!

best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Steve Santini

Nov 29, 2000
Hi,
Perhaps it was my "Titanic Book and Submersible Model". The book to the set it titled "The Sceince and Story of Titanic". It is full of detailed illustrations and does have some cut aways of the vessel. Regards, Steve Santini.

Dec 8, 2000
I agree with Mike T both on the suggestion of the Noon book and being stumped if it's not that one! However, several other books for children use cutaways as illustrations, even if only a couple of them, and also have timelines.

This is a long shot: if it's not Noon or Brewster/Marschall, could it be the Adams book from the Dorling Kindersley series? It's another large format, well illustrated book for kids that's widely available. I'm not able to check the shelf right now, but I'm sure I remember illustrations of below decks and a timeline in that book.

Edited to add: And what Steve wrote too. (Sorry Steve, completely forgot about your book in this context. Cheers!)

Apr 23, 2002
Michael, thats the one!
Its an excellent book - I was getting some funny looks reading in the kids dept!
Thought both the content and illustrations were excellent.

Nov 12, 2000
glad I could help, Greg. and, yeah I get strange looks all the time at the bookstore too! you get used to it. ;-)

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

J

John Meeks

Just thought I'd mention this...

This afternoon I was waiting for my wife to 'get her hair done'(!) and spent the time browsing in the bookstore next door to her hairdresser's....I came across Noon's book!

It's great!

Superb illustrations! Actually gave me a greater insight into what really happened than pretty much everything else I'd read all put together!

Highly recommended!

John M