Christian Titanic Pamphlet

A

Ashley Regan

I was at the tax man on Saturday having my taxes prepared when I saw a little pamphlet lying on the receptionists desk titled: "Titanic." Filled with curiousity I picked it up and started to read it.

The nicely printed little publication had all cartoon like drawings of the Titanic and a story of a First Class couple. The wife was a christian while the husband was not and when the ship sinks he is shown drowning among the debris. The next page shows him in heaven being judged by God and of course being a non-believer the outcome is predictable.

I was inerested to see the Titanic used as a morality vehicle by religious writers to encourage people to prepare their lives for the end. It was pretty professionally put together by Chic Publications and the back cover says it is available at all religious bookstores. I wonder how many other bits of media are out there that use the Titanic disaster as their theme?

Regards
Ashley

Mar 28, 2002
Typical. Don't suppose it makes any mention of the number of God-fearing people who were believers but drowned and froze to death anyway.

I wonder if there are similar publications from the Jewish, Muslim, Orthodox and Catholic communities, all of whom had passengers on board.

I've seen various magazine covers with a picture of a sinking Titanic covering topics like Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Some years ago, a British opposition leader (?) described the economy as "like Titanic heading for the rocks" (except Titanic never hit any rocks)(that's our Government for you) and the papers printed cartoons of a sinking Titanic with "economy" on the side - they really thought hard about that one. I, for one, was in bits.

D

Denise Rajauski

>I wonder if htere are similar publications from >the Jewish, Muslim, Orthodox and Catholic >communities, all of who had passengers on board.

I used to work at a Catholic bookstore filling orders for youth groups and such, usually pamphlets and small books. I can say that none of them ever had a theme where you were either 'saved' or damned to H*ll. Everything Is Your Fault And You Should Feel Very Guilty, yes. Get saved or die, no.

I don't like the idea that only Christians get into Heaven anyway. I'd hate to think Milton Berle was inhaling sulpher fumes right now. ;)

Denise

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Unfortunately, pulpit pounding in the wake of a disaster is nothing new. It was going on literally within days of the Titanic going down as people tried to make sense of the whole thing. Seems it's been going on unabated ever since, complete with some kind of "message"

Personally, I don't pay any attention to garbage like the tracts you see circulating. When somebody comes along and insists they have the One Right Answer Given Unto Them By Direct Revelation From God, I stop listening. I have better things to do with my time.

Besides, The Titanic didn't need God's intervention to come to grief. They managed that without anybody's help.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Nov 12, 2000
Chic Comics have been an institution for well over 30 years now. they all follow the same basic plot as the Titanic issue. the comics have focused on all sorts of major and minor events over the years, and are notorious for not letting the facts get in the way of their morality play, often with unintentionally hilarious results. still the very fact that the comics have survived for so long should tell you something.

Dec 8, 2000
Mike T wrote: "...the comics have focused on all sorts of major and minor events over the years, and are notorious for not letting the facts get in the way of their morality play, often with unintentionally hilarious results..."

Jack T Chick wasn't the first and won't be the last. Several writers have used Titanic as a morality play with equal disregard for the facts and the faith(s) of the real life people on board Titanic who didn't make it through the night: Alma White, Albert Steffen, Pamela Griffin, Gloria Brandt, Gilbert Morris... And that's without counting the 'messages' from secular writers such as Charles Ziavras, Paul Brooke, Robert Prechtl, etc. What was that line from The Onion again? 'World's Largest Metaphor Hits Ice-berg.'

If anyone who's interested hasn't seen it, Chick's Titanic pamphlet and a squillion or so others of his tracts can be found at: http://www.chick.com / Or at least that's where I got my copy of it a few years ago.

Cheers, F

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
There is of course, "Down With the Old Canoe: A Cultural History of the Titanic Disaster" by Steven Biel, who documents some of the immediate pulpit-pounding allegories about the Titanic, and more recently, Casey Sabella's book, "Titanic Warning." But what I found interesting was an article written in a 1904 church publication by Ellen G. White, which I will quote here:
"Shortly before I sent out the testimonies regarding the efforts of the enemy to undermine the foundation of our faith through the dissemination of seductive theories, I had read an incident about a ship in a fog meeting an iceberg. For several nights I slept but little. I seemed to be bowed down as a cart beneath sheaves. One night a scene was clearly presented before me. A vessel was upon the waters, in a heavy fog. Suddenly the lookout cried, 'Iceberg just ahead!' There, towering high above the ship was a gigantic iceberg. An authoritative voice cried out, 'Meet it.' There was not a moment's hesitation. It was a time for instant action. The engineer put on full steam, and the man at the wheel steered the ship straight into the iceberg. With a crash she struck the ice. There was a fearful shock, and the iceberg broke into many pieces, falling with a noise like thunder to the deck. The passengers were violently shaken by the force of the collision, but no lives were lost. The vessel was injured, but not beyond repair. She rebounded from the contact, trembling from stem to stern, like a living creature. Then she moved forward on her way. Well, I knew the meaning of this (dream). I had my orders. I had heard the words, like a voice from our Captain, 'Meet it!' I knew what my duty was, and that there was not a moment to lose. The time for decided action had come. I must without delay obey the command, 'Meet it.'"

When I first read this article in 1989, I was floored! It was written in 1904, eight years before the Titanic struck the iceberg. Kind of reminds you of George C. Scott's speech in the miniseries, doesn't it? Anyway, I have since studied the Biblical allegories and found it very interesting indeed. When Anna Turja's daughter told me that she incorporates Titanic lessons in her own church programs (as does her brother, who is a minister) I sent her a copy of my article, "Titanic Lessons" at her request, and she may be using it in her program.
As for Chick's publications, they are controversial (highly anti-Vatican) and sensational (in the tabloid sense of the word) and meant to be that way, targeted at youth and uneducated adults.

Happy Mother's Day to all our mothers on board!
Kyrila

Feb 14, 2011
I have one of those little blue colored religious propagnada Titanic booklets. It basically implied all those who died were punished bt Gods wrath for their sin and arrogance. Nonthing but a load of superstitious clap trap if you ask me, but it was added to my Titanic book collection..

8)

regards

tarn Stephanos

Feb 14, 2011
In 1912, Alma White wrote "Titanic Tragedy- God Speaking to the Nations", which had a 'wrath of god' apprach to the tragedy...

regards

tarn Stephanos

Nov 12, 2000
Fiona, I agree Chick was assuredly not the first, nor the last, he was just more outrageous than most. Kyrila's take, targeted at youth and uneducated adults, is spot right on. still, the Alma White title that Tarn mentioned takes the award for the most shameful use ever of this tragedy to further an extremist agenda!

best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

S

sharon rutman

Here is something interesting--Morgan Robertson's Wreck of the Titan which was the forerunner of the Titanic is one of the most hateful, anti-semitic pieces of garbage I ever saw. No kidding. In the dubious tradition of Shylock and Fagin, Robertson created a scheming Jewish insurance underwriter by the name of Meyer who is described as "corpulent and hook-nosed." And it gets progressively worse. Forget the iceberg--it's this sneaky Jew who is the real villan in this story. Psychic forerunner to the Titanic? I think not. It is outrageously anti-semitic.

Apr 22, 2012
I was given one of those Titanic tracts over a year ago by a friend who got them at church. I thought it was kind of silly, but decided to keep it anyway because of its theme. It turns out that while I was cleaning out my locker at the end of the school year, I accidentally tossed it in the trash. Oh well,...

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Good point Iain!
I have seen these publications here. One particularly exploitive one about the Holocaust and converting an elderly Jewish survivor of that event to the "one true faith" sticks in my memeory. rather cynical , yuck!

Martin

Nov 12, 2000
Sharon,
Robertson was hardly sticking it just to those of the Jewish persuasion. most everyone in "the establishment", Jewish or otherwise, are shown to be evil skumsuckers. for example, he has the officers of the Futility run right over a sailing ship with nary a thought of concern, their schedule being more important than some silly lives.

Robertson was, after all, writing a morality play. his whole purpose was to highlight the differences in attitude between his hero, the little guy, and the powerbrokers of society.

best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
I only want to say that I am a Christian with strong views about what one must do in order to receive salvation and eternal life. I will not go into a discourse about the specifics of that because I do not believe that is my place or purpose in this forum.

However, I would like to say that ministers who use the theme of the Titanic as an example of providing lessons to their congregations is something I have no problem with, and I do not think is something that should be mocked (I myself often find a lot of intriguing Tower Of Babel style comparisons that can be invited in the simple declaration "God Himself could not sink this ship"), nor do I think those who believe there is only One Way to achieve salvation suffer from any supposed short-sightedness on their part. Tolerance for those of other faiths does not imply by default that the reasons behind anyone's faith are somehow irrelevant in the end and that all of us who have faith should assume a relativistic posture that anyone can worship anything he or she likes and it makes no difference in the end when it comes to achieving salvation.

As for that particular comic, I would like to say one thing about it. Any "Titanic" related material that is erroneous stems from the fact that the dramatic situations involving the ship involving "what if these are two ice warnings?", the explosion of the boilers etc. are all lifted from the 1953 Fox movie "Titanic" right down to the shot of the ship hitting the iceberg underwater being duplicated in one of the pictures.

S

sharon rutman

Michael: I wasn't too thrilled with the anti-semitic codewords "corpulent" and hooked nosed" to describe evil Mr. Meyer. Yet everyone seems to take this trash as the foreruner to the Titanic disaster itself as "psychic." (Psycho is a far better term). It's tough enough being a Jewish titanic researcher without getting kicked in the head by trash like this.

J

John Meeks

I've been an atheist all my life.

And so proud that I am!

I'm half English, half Irish, my father was Catholic - Mother was Anglican. I've watched 'the troubles' in Ireland for decades, with deep interest and bemusement.

I watched the attack on WTC live - a deed presumably carried out in the name of Islam - and was deeply affected and disgusted.

I now watch the ongoing problems in Israel/Palestine, on a daily basis and shake my head.

I've been an Atheist all my life...!

They say 'you should never discuss religion or politics...'

They are right!

John M

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
Thanks Darren. I appreciate your support.

Calling the Titanic a modern Tower of Babel, as some ministers might do in a sermon, is *not* saying innocent people died because of God bringing His wrath down on them. It is noting that the same human nature and ingenuity that could build the Tower of Babel could also be accompanied by the arrogance of a fallen nature that could presume man to be the equal or suprerior to God. In that respect, the Titanic representing the unfettered optimism of an Age of Progress that assumed human nature capable of overcoming all possible dangers, could approach a Tower of Babel in the attitude of "God Himself could not sink this ship" and then, the sinking becomes an indicator of how in this fallen world we live in, we will be thrust with a cold reminder of how human nature has no business making such arrogant assumptions about his capabilities.

Jun 19, 2004
About that religious tract. This christian group has a tent at a fair that I go to every year (Topsfield fair) and they always have religious tracts all over the place. Those tracts always choose a theme that is popular at the time. I have seen the Titanic tract and it came out around the same time the movie came out, coincidence? I think not. Just these past few years tracts condemning Harry Potter have been very popular.

-Shannon