Christie's Auction on June 28 2007

• Thread starter Vera R. Gillespie
  • Start date
S

Steve Anderson

Hey Vera:

Weren't you and John on this cruise? Along with several other good friends?

I don't know if you have ever seen this image before as Joe C. Dave W. and myself were the only people other then crew aboard at this time when she came aboard.

And you remember the story of what we had to go through just to get on-board prior to passenger departure.

S

Steve Anderson

But the way I forgot to mention that the White Star Penant on Ms. Shumans lap was flown on the main mast of the Royal Majesty during the cruise.

I have picture's of it being hoisted up.

K

Kathy Torzok

Vera and Steven,
Wow. Thanks you guys. Now I'm all the more anxious to receive my books from Christies.

T

Timothy Trower

Mrs. Francis James was a "survivor" dug up by Frank Goldsmith for the 1973 THS meeting. It wasn't until after the meeting was over that it was discovered that she was an out and out fraud.

K

Kathy Torzok

Hi Tim,
Thanks a million for identifying Mrs. James. Now I can reasonably speculate that this book was signed at that very meeting in 1973 since both the "imposter" and Frank Goldsmith were in attendance. The insights provided by you folks here are priceless.

V

Vera R. Gillespie

RIP
Hi Steve,

Yes, John and I were passengers on the Royal Majesty. What a wonderful experience. I remember you and Joe on the dock.

MGY,
Vera

G

Grant Woollacott

Kyrila, Vera, Kathy and All

Here are photos of the embroidery i got from Christies.

Img 4182

Img 4183

Img 4184

T

Trevor Powell

Hi Grant, I'm not sure if you followed Ken Schultz's catalogs but in his 2004 issue, he offered your very item as lot 564. He wanted $3,500.00 for it, so it sounds like you got a bargain! If you want I'll send you excerpts.

K

Kathy Torzok

Grant,
All I can say is WOW. That piece is magnificent. I'm happy for you. Congratulations. I just got my Christie's Catalog in the mail a few minutes ago and I'll check out your Lot.
Way to go.

G

Grant Woollacott

Trevor: That is very interesting if you can send me those excerpts that would be great.

T

Trevor Powell

Hi Grant, Here's a scan from his online catalog.
Titanic silk

PS: Did you have any luck contacting the Harder descendants?

G

Grant Woollacott

Yes i have had luck contacting the Harder descendants. I will send details in a private message.

B

Ben Roberts

Hey Grant I know how Lauras diary got put up for auction I am the one who put it up for auction. I knew her when i was a child and her items came to me just in the past four years would love to share some stories with you if your interested if you look at the donations of her handwritten account here on ET you will see courtesy of Ben Roberts thanks