Clear Annie Cameron

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Irene, have you read the book of letters from Clear and Nellie that were published by Clear's nephew Ted and his wife Dinah, titled Clear to America and Beyond? That would be an excellent place to start. After the book was published (and shortly after Ted sadly passed away) Dinah discovered more about Clear's post-Titanic life and published it in an Atlantic Daily Bulletin article. Brian Meister and Phil Gowan also did some work on her life story concurrently.

irene cameron

Apr 30, 2005
Inger,Ive not read book but have heard that an american family were researching for info about Clear and Nellie,I will look out for book . Sorry its took so long to reply but Im new to this site and trying to find my way around. thanks for info

april martin

Feb 28, 2006
My ex-husband's family is from Scotland and England. His last name is Cameron. His mother says there are still relatives over there. I wonder if there is any relationship. I thought Dinah and Clear were sisters. thanks.

Chris Gilbert

May 30, 2009
Clear married Ernest William "Billy" Francis in Philadelphia on 29th April 1914 and they returned to England in 1915. They were living in Worcester Park, Surrey for many years. They both died in 1962. I am related to Clear and trying to find out more about her later life.

Apr 27, 2003
Hello Chris - Have your seen the book:
Clear To America by Titanic & Beyond. ISBN 0-9531539-0-8. Limited
It is full of information on Clear Cameron. There is a copy for sale on Amazon at the moment.
Cheers

Brian

Chris Gilbert

May 30, 2009
Yes thanks Brian, it was my Great Uncle Ted who wrote it and I have a copy. Unfortunately he died not knowing what had happened to his Aunt Clear.

Chris

D

Diana Thebaud-Nicholson

@ Chris Gilbert:
I am so happy to have more information about Clear. In 1999, Ted and Dinah contacted my cousin, Heath McCawley Porter and through her me, because our grandmother, Mrs McCawley, was Clear's employer in Haverford (Philadelphia)and Clear refers to my mother, Eleanor McCawley, the youngest child, in at least one letter in the book that Ted and Dinah so lovingly put together.
We tried to find out more about what had happened to Clear, but my grandmother and all three of her children had died by the time the Dowdings made contact. I guess we may be the American family referred to by Irene Cameron.
I enjoyed lovely exchanges with Ted before he died. I wish I had met him in person.
I would love to have more information if there you have any. Clear has become a member of our family lore!

Chris Gilbert

May 30, 2009
Thank you Diana. I will send you an E-mail. I have so far found Clear's husband's WWI Pension record and therefore details of their addresses up to the late 20s and then from the 30s he appears in the phone book. I also have a copy of his will and their death certificates. Unfortunately the cost of getting their Philadelphia marriage certificate turned out to be a bit more than I was willing to pay just now.