CLEARly A Big Find

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
On occasion I've jumped up and down when a long sought after Titanic survivor has finally been located. But I don't think one has ever excited me as much as this past Thursday. Through the confluence of tidbits shared by several researchers including Geoff Whitfield and Senan Molony, I'm very pleased to report that what amounted to a global search for Clear Cameron has been successfully concluded. Brian Meister and I located her on Thursday afternoon and are putting all the pieces into the puzzle at long last. Because of the great respect we share for Dinah Dowding and because of the monumental effort she and her late husband Ted went to, we will wait until next week to disclose all the details--we want Dinah to be the first to know everything that we found. As soon as that is done, we'll make the information public on this forum. Of course, we deeply regret that Ted did not live long enough to hear the news in his lifetime--but maybe he and Clear are looking down smiling at Dinah who at long last knows that the search is over.

Stay tuned. We'll tell the story in very short order.

Brian & Phil

May 12, 2005
Phil,

Congrats to you and Brian on your long-awaited find. You know everybody's excited and waiting to hear your news. We are only saddened to hear of Mrs. Dowding's misfortune. Great work!

My best,

Randy

A

Andrew Williams

Here, Here, and well said Randy!

Regards-Andrew

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Outstanding, O M! This is the best news I've heard in some time. Congrats to you and Brian M. And I know Dinah will be so happy to hear your results.

Warmest regards, as always,
Cook

C

Christine Geyer

You leave me curious !! I'm looking forward to hear your story too. CONGRATULATIONS already
happy.gif

Christine

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Thanks Diane, Beverly, Randy, etc. Both Brian and I appreciate the kind words. We are really excited about this find and will give details very shortly.

Phil

A

Andrew Williams

Philip sorry to trouble you but did you receive my e-mail congratulations last Sunday(8th July)?

Andrew.

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Andrew--yes I did--thank you! Sorry I've been so long in responding and will do so more fully tonight or tomorrow--have a flight to catch in an hour-

Phil

D

Dinah Dowding

I would like to pay my own tribute to a man that has searched for over four years for his beloved Aunt Clear Cameron. It was ironic that Ted died before the letter arrived in March - I never gave up the search.

Thanks to all the people who knew and loved Ted for there cards and condolences.

Thanks to "Clear to America" its a winner.

Thank you Philip.

D

Dinah Dowding

I would like to state QUITE CATECORICALLY at no time in the searching of our Aunt Clear Annie Francis née Cameron we attained help from any one person or information leading to the finding of Aunt Clear - except from a Lady called Jan Mawrood who wrote to Ted & I (after Ted died) saying she thought the Clear in "Clear to America" was the same Clear whom she believed was her Gt. Aunt in law. This letter was dated 25.03.2001, which gave me location etc., which has bore a lot of fruit. Lots of hard work, luck, kindness of people and a lot of common sense helped. I have at hand this moment Death Certificate, documentation of where she is at Rest, and hospital records etc., Tomorrow I hope to arrange for a simple Memorial of Remembrance of some kind. This is the wish of her Nephew my Husband who I imagine Clear was like. NO FUSS. Aunt Clear was one month off her 85th birthday. This information will very shortly be in the Public Domain. But rest assured she is truly found by her family and not just "located". I want to make this information public because of a Phone call I had today. After all Ted would want you all to know, he only wanted to know that his Aunt had a grave marker and was at rest properly. So I am sure he is now a very happy Spirit.

Dinah & the late Ted Dowding.
With our sincere thanks to Jan Mawrood.

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
An Open Letter to the Message Board: This morning Dinah Dowding sent me an email telling me that it would be fine with her if I added a message on this thread relating to the above message. I waited for her approval before I did so and she may want to add something further--that will be up to her.

First, to the anonymous cellphone caller who attempted to sabotage our relationship, you failed. Few people have any respect for someone who bushwhacks anonymously and makes allegations with nothing to back them up. Whether based on envy, jealousy, or simple hatred, it was a crummy, rotten thing you did, and shows you to be a crummy, rotten person. You know who you are.

Dinah now has the documents she spoke of above and knows the full story of how Clear died. She obtained these documents on her own--but after Brian and I found the reference and informed her and the message board--we were in a position of waiting for the same type of documentation to arrive from overseas. Fortunately, Dinah had made very good contacts in England and people there helped her to obtain the same documentation much faster. So, in essence, she found all the details first. And to that I would say Go Dinah! No one in the Titanic world has put more effort into finding one single survivor than she and Ted and I have reiterated that in previous threads. Brian and I--and I think most of the Titanic community--is thrilled that her search is over and that is was successful. She deserved that.

Dinah is allowing me an exclusive personal interview in order to do an "End of the Clear Cameron Story" for the Atlantic Daily Bulletin and I'll most likely make the trip over to England to do so in person in the very near future. I can't think of many people I've looked forward to meeting in person more than Dinah--and how I regret that I missed meeting Ted!

So I reiterate to the anonymous coward--you failed. My friendship with Dinah is strong and will only grow stronger. She is a fine individual and I am privileged to call her a friend. You on the other hand---

Phil Gowan

May 12, 2005
Phil,

Bravo! Well said.

It doesn't take much wondering to guess where such a missive came from and it should certainly open the eyes of many who either are unaware of some of the treachery that has gone on behind the scenes or else prefer to look the other way.

It was certainly a horrid thing for someone to do - to call up this dear lady who has gone through such an awful loss and, indifferent to her grief, unload upon her a lot of petty personal gripes and sour grapes.

You have all my admiration and respect, Phil, as you have always had. I was hurt - and awfully mad, too - to think that someone had done such a dirty deed to you and Mrs. Dowding.

I do hope she knows that all our thoughts are with her and that she will always be among friends here on ET.

All my best wishes, Phil, to you in your continued excellent work, and again my prayers to Mrs. Dowding and her family.

Randy

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Dinah and Phil -

Although not an habitual poster here, Dinah and another friend mentioned these messages and I wished to make a few comments.

Firstly, as I told Dinah last week via email and phone, and Phil on TML, congratulations. The Titanic community at large has followed the search for many years now, enthralled. To see it reach its conclusion is something of a bittersweet moment for all involved, I imagine. It's also a beautiful tribute not only to Clear, but to Ted as well - a man to whom many of us (and certainly I myself) owe much.

Secondly, I'd also like to register my disgust with the individual who chose to insinuate themselves into events, hurt a lovely person who is going through the loss of the individual to whom they were most close, and attempt to taint matters for all involved. When I heard about this from Dinah I was shocked and appalled. Unlike Phil and Dinah I don't know his identity and can't even begin to guess how internal politicking would cause someone to stoop so low. I realise that research rivalries can be intense, but there are boundaries that should not be exceeded - this goes far beyond that.

I only hope that one piece of poison won't affect their sense of accomplishment and of a personal quest fulfilled for those who have effectively written the final chapter of one of the most remarkable works in the Titanic canon - 'Clear to America by Titanic and Beyond'. In the end, that is what will be remembered long after the pettiness is done.

Sincerely -

Inger

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I can't say as I know anything about the search for Clear Cameron beyond knowing that it's been one long tough road to travel. My hat's always off to anybody who can solve a long standing mystery regardless of what it is.
happy.gif

Having said that, I'd also like to register my utter disgust at who ever resorted to the poison cell phone tactics that Phil mentioned. Especially one who doesn't have the guts to identify themselves when trying to do somebody dirty. That's pretty low!
angry.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

D

Dinah Dowding

Thank you for all your kindness - but please forget about it all - I have - there is more important thing to do than dwell on a very sad person who is more to be pitied than scorned at - we could all say " There but for the grace of God go I" Ted could never find fault in his fellow being and I am sure I don't. God has made us all for a purpose and let's live what he has alloted each of us. Dinah, can look after herself - she maybe 3 score and 10 but she isnt ready for a wheel chair yet. Ha! I asked Philip to write up my findings - he goes back a long way with Ted as did Pat Cook - I have been going through Ted's files and the are wonderful - kept every letter he received and a copy of his answers. I'll say good-night and please focus on the future,

God Bless,
Dinah