Clive Palmer's planned Titanic II

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
It could be worse, Michael. Surely your congress hasn't degenerated to the point of having a fist fight, or something? Because that is known to happen elsewhere.... ;-)

Cheers,
Adam.

Brad Rousse

Nov 27, 2002
Prague, Czech Rep.
Recent articles from Australia and the cruise industry suggest that the Chinese have either lost interest, or never had interest to begin with. Palmer refuses comment, and Blue Star insists on a Q3 2014 keel laying (though, like so many others in this thread, I will believe it when I see it).

I find the whole thing to be tacky absurd nonsense, really.

No Cookies | Perth Now

Aug 10, 2014
Portsmouth, VA USA
I might take some heat for this, but I don't necessarily believe that Titanic II is "spitting in the face" of the legacy of the original ship, of the survivors or those who died with her. Also, I don't think that building a replica ship and setting her afloat is "tempting fate" per se. I'm of the opinion that RMS Titanic sank because of a series of events that fell into place just right. Not saying that Titanic II absolutely won't sink, but I just don't happen to think it's a silly and/or tasteless venture.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Given that Clive Palmer just recently took a massive swipe at the Chinese on live national TV, it'd be little wonder if their interest had diminished somewhat. He's having enough trouble keeping his own senators under control, without worrying about Titanic II as well.

Cheers,
Adam.

Charles

Mar 28, 2015
USA
Apparently, also according to a video I watched on youtube of the planned things, many areas are switched around than the original Titanic. One of these is the first class dining saloon, which is (if a "replica") should be on D-Deck, but now it takes the place of the A La Carte Restaurant next to the Café Parisien on B-Deck. Also , I believe Mr. Palmer will not get the grand staircase right anyway in my opinion. I believe he is going to make all the staircase levels with the staircase fanned out (which happens on every deck except for E and F decks), and anyway he will need to modern it out anyway with the steerage cabins, because just a wash basin and 4 beds, seriously?

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi Charles.

I haven't heard about this but whether it's true or not, it just goes to show that it would be nigh on impossible to make a "replica" of the Titanic anywhere close to the original thing, which would also be considered seaworthy enough to travel on given the regulations of today.

Cheers,
Adam.

Charles

Mar 28, 2015
USA
Exactly! But I'm not sure if impossible is the right word, because my thing is that he should overlook the top deck plans again , for the inside , but not outside.

JMGraber

Apr 22, 2012
Hello Adam,

If I had the money Clive Plamer did, I would recreate a much smaller vessel in the style of an ocean liner. It would not be as big as the Titanic and the exterior would not be the same. What would be the same is the first-class interiors I would have in the ship. There would be no third or second-class and obviously some first-class public spaces would have to be eliminated, but that would seem more pleasurable to me. Reply to me back if you have more questions.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi JM,

I think that idea would be much better. It's far more realistic to be able to create a smaller vessel with the same interiors, decorations, menus, etc as would have been on the Titanic, as opposed to creating a vessel which would be the same in every aspect, in which case it would never be allowed to leave the dock anyway. Hopefully somebody comes up with the money to complete such a project one day, but I doubt it will be Clive - he's been fairly quiet of late actually!

Cheers,
Adam.

Brad Rousse

Nov 27, 2002
Prague, Czech Rep.
The plan is pretty much dead, according to my latest check of the Wikipedia article. It has sources cited.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_II

"[In] March it was reported that no work had begun or been ordered in the Chinese shipyard identified as the likely site of construction with workers highly skeptical that the project would ever move beyond the proposal stage.[65] On March 26, 2015, the Blue Star Line trademark was listed as "abandoned".[66] As of May 2015, Blue Star Line had made no updates to its official web site or media pages in over one year.[67]"

I actually attended the roll out in New York as a staff member of the Intrepid... the sense I got from everyone was that this was a lark. I didn't really see anyone who thought this would happen.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi Brad,

That news is disappointing but not surprising. Clive has funnelled a lot of money into his political campaigns over recent years and I'd imagine that Titanic II has fallen by the wayside, if it was ever a serious endeavour at all.

Cheers,
Adam.

Brad Rousse

Nov 27, 2002
Prague, Czech Rep.
Hi Brad,

That news is disappointing but not surprising. Clive has funnelled a lot of money into his political campaigns over recent years and I'd imagine that Titanic II has fallen by the wayside, if it was ever a serious endeavour at all.

Cheers,
Adam.
I was at the New York roll out. I never got the sense he was serious. Ever. Besides, as has been thoroughly argued here, it wouldn't have been the Titanic; it would have been a gaudy playground vaguely shaped like her catering more to those who think Jack and Rose as opposed to the actual people aboard.

Doug Criner

Dec 2, 2009
USA
There were legitimate, practical questions raised here, on this website, which were never answered - but there were cheers, too. My thinking is that is was a publicity stunt.

Aug 23, 2015
New titanic?

are they really building a 2nd titanic ship? I think it would be kool but yet on the other hand i think it may be curresed from start to finish becaues of all the lifes that were lost and how tragic the whole shipwreck was....it will never be forgotten but it should remain a memorie and not copied for a second one.

Doug Criner

Dec 2, 2009
USA
Such a project was announced several years ago. The ship was to have been built in China, but construction never started. There were several practical questions that were raised, some on this forum, but never addressed. I think this was a P.R. stunt timed to capitalize on the 100th anniversary of the sinking.