Clive Palmer's planned Titanic II

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>That is your opinion and I respect it.<<

The snide, mocking and childish tone of your post tells me you don't respect anything of the kind. Whatever your views on this, consider this a warning to lose that attitude and right now. I'm not the only one who won't take very kindly to it.

>>So basically you are saying nothing will happen?<<

No.

It's possible that Clive Palmer could get his act together, pony up the cash and make it happen. So far, all it's been is a lot of grand talk and talk is dirt cheap. (See World Maritime News - Lloyd to get a sense of what I mean. Hiring Lloyds register to review the design work is a step in the "Get Her Done" direction, but only a step)

If he gets it together and gets it done, I'll wish him the best.

chrisshaw

Apr 3, 2013
Culpeper, Va
Michael,

I have only been stating my opinion about this to you and explaining why I think this will happen and why I think you are wrong. Is that really so bad? "Lose the attitude" , their are people on these threads that curse and I am not one of those people. I was truly only stating the truth but I guess as I have learned from other pages you can't tell the truth. This might seam like I am being mean but how do you know? The wording yes sounds mean when you read it but when I typed this I was trying to showing my point and explain why I do things. We are talking over the internet by computers, not face to face.

I was baicallly trying to say that you don't have a clue apparently what is going on with Titanic II and I don't know either. My point is that we have to wait and be patient because BSL isn't going to say something again until construction starts so .... as I said before we have to wait and see.... . Also, I heard about Lloyd joining because I am subscribed to all BSL notifications.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Is that really so bad? <<

The gloating manner in which you expressed it is. To wit: "Also, when this project does happen I am telling you "i told you so" because it is true. " This particular manner of expression is the sort of thing one expects from children and nobody is going to put up with it here. At the very least, you'll get the cold shoulder from everybody, even those who might be inclined to agree with you.

I will remind you that you are in the company of adults, so like I said: Lose the attitude. (Do NOT bother making any further responses to this singular point.)

Now, regarding the matter in controversy:

If Clive Palmer gets it together, I'll be the first to cheer him on. Really, I will. I wouldn't wish failure on anybody. HOWEVER, he has a lot of problems of his own to deal with at home including questions as to whether or not some of his mining interests are as productive as claimed and whether or not some of his personal wealth is what it's claimed.

I noticed in the article that he set a target date of 2016. We'll see if he makes good on that.

lemarlù

Jul 22, 2013
Sincerely, I like the idea of making a new Titanic. What I don't like is making it almost like the original. But it's also true that the closer to the original, the higher the tickets.

chrisshaw

Apr 3, 2013
Culpeper, Va
Soory I have tooken awhile to respond. I have been on vacation in Hawaii and Phoenix, AZ. As you can tell I love the idea of a Titanic II and you are right that the closer to the original the pricier the ticket.

Aug 3, 2013
Sacramento
Personally I have always though it would be cool to have a replica or a ship based on her design; however, there are some things that any ship built in this century must have, like TVs, phones,private bathrooms(In all Cabins), and the ability to move around most of the ship without restrictions. TVs can easily be hidden behind one way mirrors or cabinets. Now the TV doesn't need to be used for CCTV or anything related to the ship, just to watch Letterman before you go to sleep. Non emergency ship wide announcements should be handled through attendants and pamphlets not TV. I personally watch less than 5 hours of TV per week. It's just nice to have the option. We don't need to call China or anything but having to get up and find the attendant can be tiresome. You can even have the phone look like an antique. On the cheapest cruise you can find with no window you still have your own bathroom. I don't want to have to wait in line every night to take a shower. Lets face it a lot of people today are inconsiderate d-bags. They'll do things like not wipe off the gym equipment or leave their mess in the shower. I don't want to share a bathroom with somebody like that. When going on any modern cruise ship you'll see a muilti-level stair/elevator area called an atrium. Now I'm not expecting this but the thing is everyone onboard has access to it. Without having access to the grand staircase people wont get an idea how truly magnificant the ship is. Also the ship needs to have more elevators for all classes. You cant expect an old lady in 3rd class to take the stairs or a paralised person for that matter. Another thing they should add to the first class rooms are private verandas. The parlor suites on the original had these. The 1st/2nd/3rd class thing should just be for restaurants and spas only. Since they are adding a new safety deck (between C and D decks) they can add more modern public rooms, so the on this ship you may not be as bored as you would be on an exact replica. One other thing I think that the ship would need is wifi, having wifi on the ship would enable passengers the ability to brag about how great the ship is online (that's good for any company) as well as allowing passengers who wish to do so, use the internet. Now all of these things should be displayed as optional things so that period interested cruisers can enjoy the ship as well. In a perfect world an exact replica would be great but most new ships need these things to make profits meaning the more stuff that's onboard the more you can charge. That's all ofcoarse if this really happens.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>But it's also true that the closer to the original, the higher the tickets. <<

Errrrr....no. The reason for this is because the closer to the original any replica is, the more safety violations the ship will have that will literally make it illegal to sail.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
I'm not even sure they'd allow a ship that was an exact replica of the original Titanic to even sit in a dock and become a Queen Mary-esque attraction. Ironically it was the Titanic sinking itself which prompted many of these changes that have carried on ever since!

Cheers,
Adam.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I'm not even sure they'd allow a ship that was an exact replica of the original Titanic to even sit in a dock and become a Queen Mary-esque attraction.<<

Adam, the fire inspectors would have a bloody stroke! All that wood!

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
I think there would be considerable problems with the interior arrangement. A huge portion of the ship is Third Class berthing. Who today would settle for four to six people crammed into a tiny room for a week or two at sea? A portion of Third Class would have to be there as a museum, but any actual Third Class berthing would be a waste of deck space. Most of second lass would be too. To give people modern comfort, even first class would have to b redesigned, although you could probably keep half of it in historical condition.

If you think about the arrangement of the ship, you realize how much deck space you'd have to change to meet modern living standards, and at that point, what do you really have left of the original ship?

If you really were to make a second Titanic, you'd be better off building it on land as a museum/hotel and save yourself the trouble of the shipping regulations and building working propulsion machinery. That would be the only way to keep historical accuracy.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi Tim,

It would be interesting to know whether Titanic's third class arrangements would still pass these days - i'm not convinced they would. But even if they did, I guess it depends on how authentic of a Titanic experience people wanted to have.

Seems to me the novelty would wear off after a while and a replica would become just another passenger ship, and how is it going to compete with modern day passenger ships when its living 100 years ago?

Don't get me wrong, i'd love to sail on a replica Titanic, but I just don't think its economically viable in the long term.

Cheers,
Adam.

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
If you really were to make a second Titanic, you'd be better off building it on land as a museum/hotel
:p

It would be much cheaper to build and operate (maybe half the cost?), and you wouldn't have to worry about passenger accommodations because you could put a motel next door for those who weren't up to historical bunking conditions. The Titanic has no value as a passenger liner, only as a historical site - so if you're going to build a replica, don't bother trying to make it a modern vessel. Otherwise you might as well just go to the Carnival pier and slap the name "Titanic" on the stern of the first ship you see.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>It would be interesting to know whether Titanic's third class arrangements would still pass these days - i'm not convinced they would<<

Hell, Adam, some of the first class accomadation wouldn't be acceptable. Some of those cabins up on A deck just behind the pilot house would barely be considered acceptable for a condemned prisoner on the Texas Death Row!

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Tim:

I agree with you as far as the value of a replica Titanic goes, but I don't think putting it on land would be viable. To start with, where are you going to stick a 900 foot long replica in any tourist area on land? Plus you'd miss the tug boats, ferries, etc. No, surely if it was going to be a replica which didn't sail, it would have to be done in the style of Queen Mary....a permanently docked floating museum/hotel.

Michael:

I dunno, i've stayed in some motels and hotels in my time which very quickly would have you do unspeakable things to switch up to a third class Titanic cabin.

Cheers,
Adam.

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
When it comes to that, waterfront property is pretty expensive, too. I'd put it in Arizona. Maybe across the street from London Bridge. I bet five miles outside of Las Vegas would work.

No need for tugboats of ferries, it's the Titanic. Unless you want to build a scale recreation of Belfast, New York, and the Atlantic ocean, there's got to be a limit to the simulata. Surround it with a reflecting pool. The building costs and maintenance would be a fraction of building on water. Less safety concerns, less structural material, less need to worry about rust and leaks and bilge paint.

The talk on recreating the Titanic is usually focused on recreating a functional ship. This leads to problems since you can't sail a 1912 steamship about today. And ultimately, what people are trying to re-create is 1912 itself. (Why on Earth did you bring up ferries and tugs, after all? Why do people bring up clothes and cars and other things... because the Titanic is a representative of an era and it's really the era that they're trying to recreate.) I'm talking about recreating just a floorplan. A building, made of common building materials, but cast in the shape of the Titanic, and furnished and painted to match. Cheaper, easier, safer, and ultimately it isn't any less mobile and will be far more accurate than a floating replica.

That's my two cents anyway. I suppose you could buy a freehold island, build a shipyard on it, and construct an identical replica there. There'd be no regulations out there.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Tim:

Well exactly, and this is the problem that Clive Palmer and anyone else who has designs of building a functional Titanic II faces - the technology and design that made the Titanic what it was have been outdated for a century. So many of the laws and regulations were changed BECAUSE of the Titanic. So it's simply not possible that an exact replica would get past the first safety tests.

Even if you upgraded all the safety systems to comply with modern standards, as has already been highlighted, the conditions in other parts of the ship would not be up to scratch either. You couldn't have a Marconi wireless system, for one. And I reckon OH & S would have something to say about the conditions and equipment for the crew working in the engine rooms.

So what you'd end up with would be a ship which matches the size and dimensions of the original Titanic, but through necessity is completely different in just about every other way. Which is why the floating museum - perhaps somewhere outside a place like Las Vegas as you suggest - would be the best, cheapest and most viable option.

But as I said earlier, Clive Palmer is hung up on politics at the moment, especially with the federal election only a month away, so who knows what will become of Titanic II....

Cheers,
Adam.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I dunno, i've stayed in some motels and hotels in my time which very quickly would have you do unspeakable things to switch up to a third class Titanic cabin. <<

I've been in a few of those places and not always in overseas ports either! Rats the size of dogs and all that.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Yep, ridiculously oversized rats, armies of bugs, strange and alarming smells emanating from somewhere....

Cheers,
Adam.