Clive Palmer's planned Titanic II

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Don't expect any news on Titanic II for the forseeable future. As I mentioned earlier, Clive Palmer had formed a political party and has just contested the federal election which took place yesterday. For a first timer, he was extremely popular - probably because all the other candidates are nothing much to write home about. As it stands, it looks as if he's going to win the seat he was contesting in Queensland (Fairfax). So i'd imagine Clive has bigger fish to fry just at the minute....

Cheers,
Adam.

lemarlù

Jul 22, 2013
Errrrr....no. The reason for this is because the closer to the original any replica is, the more safety violations the ship will have that will literally make it illegal to sail.
That's correct. I didn't realize it at all, I'm too much in love with the ship itself ah ah!
It's not easy to sail in those old-fashioned conditions even if the Titanic replica, whenever will be built, will have a bunch of closed sailboats like all the other modern liners. I must admit, against my dream of jumping aboard a moving giant powered by 'living' steam engines, that's something we cannot see nowadays. As others have suggested here, I guess the interior will not match the exterior except for the grand staircase, which is domed, the First class lounge and the covered promenade. Maybe the Verandah or the Parisian Café will be in their original place. Just imagine the Titanic fitted with a new marine radar on the foremast, some colorful stuff on both sides and a nice surprise inside. You've got an idea!

Edit: that's how it is depicted in the preview renderings, if I remember correctly. It's interesting speaking about the arrangement of Titanic II decks as well as about those people who will like to pay for a journey, from an historical point of view, exact only for an half. Or, more likely, the main purpose to build a new Titanic is a political one, as outlined a few replies above. So many love Titanic on Earth.

Kevin Tischer

Dec 24, 2011
Who's sailing on Titanic II

Undoubtedly the tickets will cost a lot so most of us will not be sailing on her but who will at lest pay to travel to New York or Southampton just to see her docked in port? I know I will.

Shel Cooper

Nov 8, 2013
AZ/LA
I've read that this ship will be something like 20 feet wider, have no rake or sheer, and have some other unspecified differences. Why sell it as Titanic II? "Hey all, we're gonna build this ship to copy another but we're gonna barely try to make it even resemble the original while selling it as a copy." It's like selling an apple as an orange.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Clive Palmer has very narrowly won a seat in parliament.

The relevance of this to the Titanic II project is that Palmer will now have to put his entire financial interests on the public record. He'll no longer be able to fool about, as he has with the media. Now we'll see how feasible the scheme is.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Clive Palmer's victory in his own contested seat but overall, for a brand new party, the performance of the Palmer United party at the last federal election was surprisingly good - a reflection of the public disenchantment with the major political parties as much as anything else.

As such, I haven't heard anything of Titanic II for some time, despite Clive Palmer's prominence in the news - I expect it's currently on the backburner.

Cheers,
Adam.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi Augusto,

Yes, I imagine you're right. Clive has his iron in many fires and i'd imagine that his Titanic idea will simply slip by the wayside in coming years. I hope i'm wrong, and you never know what to expect from Clive, but one can't do everything.

Cheers,
Adam.

C

countess

From wiki

Name: Titanic II
Owner: Blue Star Line
Builder: CSC Jinling, Nanjing[1]
Cost: $500 million[1]
Completed: late 2016 (planned)
General characteristics
Class & type: Replica of Olympic-class ocean liner
Tonnage: 56,000 GT (estimate)
Length: 269.15 m (883 ft 0 in)
Beam: 32.2 m (105 ft 8 in)
Height: 53.35 m (175 ft 0 in)
Draught: 7.5 m (24 ft 7 in) (normal); 7.926 m (26 ft 0 in) (max)
Depth: 19.74 m (64 ft 9 in)
Decks: 10
Installed power:
2 × Wärtsilä 12V46F
2 × Wärtsilä 8L46F
48,000 kW (64,000 hp) (combined)
Propulsion: Diesel-electric; three azimuth thrusters; (3 × 10 MW) [3]
Speed: 24 knots (44 km/h; 28 mph) (maximum)[4]
Capacity: 1,680 (double capacity); 2,435 (maximum)
Crew: 900

Titanic II is a planned ocean liner, to be built as a replica and successor of the Olympic-class RMS Titanic. The project was announced by Australian billionaire Clive Palmer in April 2012, as the flagship of his cruise company Blue Star Line.[5] The intended launch date is set in 2016, 104 years after the original voyage,[6] and the ship will set sail from Southampton to New York within the same year.[7][8]

Wiki

Helloooo everyone,

This project has more chance of becoming real than the multimillionaire from South Africa's planned for Titanic II. Was reported once in newspaper and on the national news, we never heard about it since.
This time, it has gone much further. Its been plastered in newspaper and national news more than once and been plastered all over the internet data base permanently for good.

Going by the internet / wiki, Titanic II is listed as an actual ship. Whether it does get built or not, the planned has already a name: Titanic II.

Down fall,
No one even knows if the keel has even been laid as yet. Two years has past, only two years left. (Note: most likely, its been kept a secret on purpose)?

Ta ta laters :)

C

countess

There's even been tickets put up for sale and sold, has it not?

C'tess

C

countess

False, dammed.

""""Around 40,000 people have enquired about tickets and half a dozen have offered more than a million dollars to make sure they get on the maiden voyage and this is before we have even started construction""""

C'tess

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
As an Australian, I still don't like its chances of ever setting sail - sorry to rain on any parades out there. Clive Palmer's mug is firmly plastered across our television screens at the moment as the state election is coming up in a week from now. He's really got into this whole political scene, especially with the relatively good results he and his party obtained at the federal election last year, so I would think that the Titanic II project has been put on the backburner for a while, and quite possibly permanently. Besides, you just never know what he's going to come up with next.

Cheers,
Adam.

C

countess

Hi Adam,

Well if clive palmer doest succeed, he will look like a complete moron, will he not? After all his talk and plans. He didn't say maybe, but he will be created a Titanic II.

We're going too have to wait and see if April 2016 is a hit or miss (sorry that wasn't meant to be a rude, snide,disrespectful remark towards titanic tragedy).

C'tess

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi Countess,

Clive Palmer has made himself look like a "complete moron" on numerous occasions, I don't think another instance would be of any great surprise. If you had seen his efforts in Australian politics over the past year or two, you would understand where i'm coming from.

Honestly, I hope i'm wrong - i'd love to see a Titanic II finally come to fruition - but with Clive at the helm (no pun intended), I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Cheers,
Adam.

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
Adam, I wouldn't think you'd want to hold your breath on the Titanic II.

I doubt the Titanic II is anything more than a publicity stunt, or a half-hour's fascination for a rich playboy. I think the odds are decidedly against it ever coming to pass.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Well if clive palmer doest succeed, he will look like a complete moron, will he not? <<

From what I've been seeing from a lot of Australians, Clive Palmer is not in the least bit troubled about looking like a moron. Make of that what you will.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Tim:

I think you're exactly right on both counts. I will gladly eat a large slice of humble pie if it ever does become a reality, but honestly, take it from an Australian: there is next to no chance that Titanic II will become a reality, under the leadership of Clive Palmer anyway. Again, sorry to anyone who is disappointed by that out there.

Michael:

Exactly my point. I actually wonder if he deliberately makes a fool of himself in order to get the extra publicity, especially with the elections just a couple of days away.

Cheers,
Adam.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>> I actually wonder if he deliberately makes a fool of himself in order to get the extra publicity, especially with the elections just a couple of days away.<<

A politician need go to no effort to look like an idiot. To such people, it comes naturally! :rolleyes: