Coal bunkers

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
You can have many schedule plans as you like. But come the day if the person is not up to the job due to illness or personal reasons you must have plan B or a standby. I believe Smith was . Just remember Smith was an human and not a ROBOT!
He has his other officers. In case of illness at sea the Chief Officer would be his partly replacement. On land there would have been others who could take over as Captain Bartlett.
What is your reason to believe Captain Smith was "under huge pressure and stress and clearly lacking in shore time leave"? There is no single evidence to this. Captain Smith had also the time to go home to spend the night there. This does not sound for someone who is under big stress and pressure.

Sorry Mike but you are posting only one believe/theory after the next and even seem not to take time to give a repsonse to questions asked to you. All answers we got is that you did not claim the coal fire was the reason for the sinking or that it is not what you claim but what you got from the book by Molony.

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
He has his other officers. In case of illness at sea the Chief Officer would be his partly replacement. On land there would have been others who could take over as Captain Bartlett.
What is your reason to believe Captain Smith was "under huge pressure and stress and clearly lacking in shore time leave"? There is no single evidence to this. Captain Smith had also the time to go home to spend the night there. This does not sound for someone who is under big stress and pressure.

Sorry Mike but you are posting only one believe/theory after the next and even seem not to take time to give a repsonse to questions asked to you. All answers we got is that you did not claim the coal fire was the reason for the sinking or that it is not what you claim but what you got from the book by Molony.
Give this guy a medal and a bottle of champagne. Excellent post.

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
The incomplete ship when she departed on the of Wednesday April 10th and list some of the items to. Can be found from the book: ON A SEA OF GLASS. It also state Titanic was so thoroughly behind schedule in completion. Not my word. If you think the book is wrong please let me know.
I can see this does not make the ship seaworthy as the missing parts seem to be mostly furniture items. The book refers to Thomas Andrews at Southampton working long hours leaving the hotel at 8.30 until 6.30 on board when he would return to officers to sign letters. It would appear Andrews has a lot of unfished job on hand and having to give priority to the ones that do matter.
Again this appears this work should be completed in Belfast. As for WSL defence I cannot said for sure want agreement had be made with H&W for the compeletion of the ship!

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
You can have many schedule plans as you like. But come the day if the person is not up to the job due to illness or personal reasons you must have plan B or a standby. I believe Smith was under huge pressure and stress and clearly lacking in shore time leave. Just remember Smith was an human and not a ROBOT!
Smith had had plenty of time off, when Olympic was laid up after the Hawke incident and for the propeller repair. There is no reason to believe that his ability to command Titanic was impaired.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
The incomplete ship when she departed on the of Wednesday April 10th and list some of the items to. Can be found from the book: ON A SEA OF GLASS. It also state Titanic was so thoroughly behind schedule in completion. Not my word. If you think the book is wrong please let me know.
I do not have that book and sure there will be also others who will not have this or other books you are taking the stuff from and pointing to it.
The "unfinished" parts are mainly passenger areas and not all of us agree with some of the conclusions about "unfinished parts" from other researchers. One of the passengers complaining was 2nd class passenger Mrs. Imanita Shelley who was complaining about everything and sure was trying to get a better cabin on board.
Also as already stated, furniture on display in Belfast claimed to have not made it on board Titanic in time had one thing common, they were not for Titanic.

I can see this does not make the ship seaworthy as the missing parts seem to be mostly furniture items. The book refers to Thomas Andrews at Southampton working long hours leaving the hotel at 8.30 until 6.30 on board when he would return to officers to sign letters. It would appear Andrews has a lot of unfished job on hand and having to give priority to the ones that do matter.
Yet it is Andrews himself who wrote to his wife that the ship is complete.

Last edited:

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
I don't know them personally but I have a strong hunch that Tad Fitch, J. Kent Layton and Bill Wormstedt would be upset that their fine work is being deliberately twisted to support ridiculous theories such as those posted above.

Reactions: Ioannis Georgiou
Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
Or perhaps captain Lord didn't have his company boss on board!
Are you saying that Capt. Lord approach the same icefield in the correct manor at reduce speed with extra lookouts? Well I guess you don't know all the facts. Lord never slowed his ship down. He never took it further south to avoid ice that was reported ahead of him on the his latitude. Around 10:20pm Sunday night, Lord Was forced to take evasive action when he spotted ice ahead by reversing his engine and putting his helm hard aport. You picked a poor example.
I believe Smith was under huge pressure and stress and clearly lacking in shore time leave.
So somehow you think that Smith was under huge pressure? To do what? More pressure than any other sea captain on any other voyage? If you want to know about pressure, take a vessel out in a raging North Atlantic storm. Are you buying this nonsense about him wanting to get to NY fast because of a raging fire in a bunker, or afraid another fire will be discovered before their arrival there?