Coal from the Titanic

Z

Zachary Lee

Hey, everyone! I know this may seem like a stupid question and all but I thought I'd ask it anyways. Last night I got a piece of coal from the Titanic at the Las Vegas Titanic exhibit and I have been trying to figure out where it could of been. It was recovered in the 1994 Recovery Expedition at the debris field. What I'm guessing is that it might of come from Boiler Room #1 or some other part of the bow when the ship broke in half. Or who knows it could of come from anywhere on the ship? If anyone has a guess on the whereabouts of the coal please tell me. Thanks!

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

My bet would be on either Boiler Room One or one of the bunkers torn open from Boiler Room Two. Unfortunately, when that much debris gets scattered about in the wake of a breakup, there's no way of telling where it came from.

V

victor tommaso

HI , I GOT A PIECE OF COAL ALSO FROM THE TITANIC , FROM GEORGE TULLOCH, EXP. WITH A C.O.A., CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IS THERE ANY VALUE TO IT ,ITS ENCLOSED IN GLASS CASE, AND NOW WHAT IAM TRYING TO DO IS TO FIND SOMEONE TO BUILD A MODEL OF THE TITANIC AS IT APPEARS AT THE BOTTOM, IF SOMEONE CAN HELP ME WITH THIS I WOULD APPRECIATE IT..
THANK YOU VIC. TOMMASO

M

Mark Baber

Staff member
Hello, Victor---

Please do not type your messages in all caps. It's the equivalent of shouting and considered bad form.

Thanks.

G

George Huck

Hey Zach
am surprised that there is a lot more written about where these pieces of coal came from. I too have a piece and am now printing out Orlop deck plans in order to work out as best I can where it is most likely have come from. Let me know if you have any more ideas. My piece was also recovered in 1994. Another question I have is which coal company did the white Star Line buy it s coal from and from what coalfield did it come from.

Z

Zachary Lee

Can't think of anything else but am nonetheless still interested in discovering where the coal actually came from. I'm thinking that when the Titanic broke in two that the coal poured out of one of the boiler rooms. Let me know if you find out anything! I doubt this would help but I do remember reading that when the Titanic sailed there was a coal strike and there were ships that had to cancel their sailings because of the shortage of coal. Ironically some Titanic passengers transferred from such coal-less ships and onto the ill fated Titanic.

R

Richard Stover

I got a piece of coal years ago and still have it sitting on my bookcase. Even has a rust mark on one side which is kind of interesting in a way.

G

George Huck

I have still not been able to find out where the White Star Line got its coal from. I hope it is Yorkshire where I come from. We in Sheffield made the Titanics rudder post. Only we could make the steel that was needed for the strongest part of the ship. The yanks also came to us to build the heat sheilds for their Saturn 5 rockets. Good old Sheffield

B

Bob Godfrey

Like the Royal Navy they used the best quality 'steam coal', which was Welsh anthracite.

G

George Huck

Dear Bob, is that truely where the coal was mined from, how do you know this. I am not doubting you for onr moment. Could you tell me anything else about the coal.
Thanks

B

Bob Godfrey

The White Star Line obtained their steam coal from Lewis Merthyr Consolidated Collieries Ltd, which operated mines in the Rhondda Valley. The same company supplied Cunard and several other major shipping Lines. Many other European Lines, along with the Royal Navy (and even the German Navy!) also obtained their steam coal from sources in the Rhondda. Reason being that Welsh anthracite was the best available for that particular purpose. Certainly the best in Europe; possibly the best in the World.

G

George Huck

Dear Bob, Thank you very much for that information. It adds to the facination I have in the small piece of coal I bought off e bay. Very grateful

R

Roy Mengot

RIP
The coal may also be American. Some years back an analysis was done by members of the MFP on the coal chunks now being sold through the exhibition. They showed signatures of both UK coal fields and US fields. Ships in the US were refueled with American coal. Titanic had a lot of coal transfered to it from other ships because of the coal strike.

Regards
Roy Mengot

Stanley C Jenkins

Stanley C Jenkins

If the coal being sold as “Titanic Coal” is indeed American coal, there can be only two explanations. Either the White Star Line was purchasing its coal from North America and shipping it across the Atlantic (at great expense), or the coal in question is not White Star coal. The logic is inescapable.

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

>>Either the White Star Line was purchasing its coal from North America and shipping it across the Atlantic (at great expense),<<

Or more likely, they were simply overloading the bunkers and some of the extra storage places with as much coal as they could possibly stuff into whatever was available. I recall reading something to that effect but I don't remember the source.