Coal from the Titanic

H

Holly Peterson

My cousin just gave me a crucifix necklace filled with coal from the Titanic. I smiled politely and said thank-you, but later I put it into a drawer. I don't wear necklaces, but even if I did, I found it kind of morbid and insulting.

Jun 10, 1999
It is morbid and insulting, the idea of a necklace w/TITANIC coal. However, if our beloved George Tulloch were still with us, it's highly unlikely the coal would have ran such a tainted course. It is one thing to raise, according to Matt Tulloch, a 75lb. piece of coal, subsequently disperse small samples to, furthur fund the exxpeditions, to *enthralled* near lifetime, TITANIC devotes as a papable conection to said event...all the while, standing ethical to an obligation of NOT seperating (to date) the retrieved *internationaly treasured* artifacts. From day one in 1987 there was far and away too much outcry of graverobbing shed on Mr. Tulloch...however, according to *the* renowned TITANIC artist, George Tulloch & the then, RMSTI/IFREMER were probably the most suited expedition team/preservationists suitable for attaining such a controversial endeavor. And as for your morbid and insulting slander...I give Arnie Gellar & his current RMSTI...

I ask that you harken back to the yrs. '86 & '87 respectively.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Jun 10, 1999
As a follow up to my post #1000...

"The world wants to see and touch recovered artifacts from this historic ship. It is understandable and inevitable. Perhaps we are lucky that RMS Titanic Inc., is in chasrge. It could have been a lot worse.".

--Excerpt from "A TITANIC TASK: Confronting The Controversy Of Salvaging Artifacts, by Ken Marschall (USA Today/Nov 1995)--

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

petersh

May 29, 2018
I bought my first coal piece in February 1996. It was my understanding (in the literature that came with the piece) that the sales of the coal would finance a new building to house all of the artifacts after the traveling road show was over. And the persons that purchased coal from this original release would have their names put in a conservators log in the museum. Later after Tulloch was ousted no one at RMST Inc seems to know anything about this.

Mike Spooner

Sep 21, 2017
My cousin just gave me a crucifix necklace filled with coal from the Titanic. I smiled politely and said thank-you, but later I put it into a drawer. I don't wear necklaces, but even if I did, I found it kind of morbid and insulting.

Hi Holly,
Just a matter of interested did the coal neckless come with a certificate to say what grade of coal? There is coal and coal rated at different BTU heating value. As to what type coal the Titanic had when leaving Southampton comes under question due the general coal strike in progress. Were the best coal was Welsh grade 1 was in short demand. So coal taking from other ships come from USA. Coal in Belfast from Scotland. Coal in England from Newcastle, Derbyshire and Lancashire all had different BTU rating.

Feb 4, 2019
Hereford
'Steam coal' is NOT anthracite, which was totally unsuitable. It burns too hot and would've caused the boilers to explode.
Even RMST got this wrong and put on the COA's for the coal they sell, that it's anthracite.

Mike Spooner

Sep 21, 2017
There is book by Richard P. de Kerbrech (an ex marine engineer) DOWN AMONGST THE BLACK GANG. He cover the different grades of coal used in ships. As there was a national general coal strike in progress there was a shortest of the best coal Welsh grade rated at 16,000 BTU, were other grades used. As in Belfast 3000 ton coal from a Scottish mine 14,200 BTU. Titanic arrived in Southampton with about 1900 tons on board. A further 4,427 tons was taken of five ships from American. All chance the coal was American coal at 14,300 BTU. This are a softer grade and burn at a quicker rate. She would leave Southampton with 5,892 tons about 11% down on maximum at 6,611 tons. The 5,892 ton was still well in the ranch for the crossing. Whist in Southampton she burning about 60-70 tons a day.
The book does cover the different types coal, semi anthracite and semi bituminous with there advantages and disadvantages. It the fireman job to keep a check on the temperature of the boilers at all times.