Coal from the Titanic

Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner

My cousin just gave me a crucifix necklace filled with coal from the Titanic. I smiled politely and said thank-you, but later I put it into a drawer. I don't wear necklaces, but even if I did, I found it kind of morbid and insulting.

Hi Holly,
Just a matter of interested did the coal neckless come with a certificate to say what grade of coal? There is coal and coal rated at different BTU heating value. As to what type coal the Titanic had when leaving Southampton comes under question due the general coal strike in progress. Were the best coal was Welsh grade 1 was in short demand. So coal taking from other ships come from USA. Coal in Belfast from Scotland. Coal in England from Newcastle, Derbyshire and Lancashire all had different BTU rating.

David Scott-Beddard

David Scott-Beddard

'Steam coal' is NOT anthracite, which was totally unsuitable. It burns too hot and would've caused the boilers to explode.
Even RMST got this wrong and put on the COA's for the coal they sell, that it's anthracite.

Mike Spooner

Mike Spooner

There is book by Richard P. de Kerbrech (an ex marine engineer) DOWN AMONGST THE BLACK GANG. He cover the different grades of coal used in ships. As there was a national general coal strike in progress there was a shortest of the best coal Welsh grade rated at 16,000 BTU, were other grades used. As in Belfast 3000 ton coal from a Scottish mine 14,200 BTU. Titanic arrived in Southampton with about 1900 tons on board. A further 4,427 tons was taken of five ships from American. All chance the coal was American coal at 14,300 BTU. This are a softer grade and burn at a quicker rate. She would leave Southampton with 5,892 tons about 11% down on maximum at 6,611 tons. The 5,892 ton was still well in the ranch for the crossing. Whist in Southampton she burning about 60-70 tons a day.
The book does cover the different types coal, semi anthracite and semi bituminous with there advantages and disadvantages. It the fireman job to keep a check on the temperature of the boilers at all times.