Coal Miners DaughterampTitanic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Tweed

May 5, 2002
I looked for this elsewhere and could not find it so here goes!
In the movie Sissy Spacek sings a lullaby to her child about the sinking of Titanic.
Some of the lines went like this: "he was trying to break the record, when he let the Titanic go down."
Another stanza was:"but maybe it will come to something, to raise the Titanic someday"
Does anyone know the name of this lullaby?
I know of the Titanic Toast and Leadbellys music and the 4-H camp songs but not this one!!!

Thanks for any help!
-Don

Dec 12, 1999
I can't help you with this one, but I can say that this song was the very thing that got me interested in the Titanic. I'm surprised that someone else took notice of it!

Don Tweed

May 5, 2002
I do not know how many times I have hurt my neck from jerking my head around when I here the word Titanic uttered in some movie or T.V. show!!!
It's an involuntary reaction I guess!
happy.gif

-Don

Jun 4, 2000
Kritina — no, it wouldn’t surprise me that hearing that song in a movie would spark interest in Titanic. People find their way into their interests by the most peculiar but sweetly logical means. And Don — your cricked neck syndrome is all too familiar to me. I collect references to Titanic in popular fiction, so I don’t think anyone interested in Titanic references in films is in the slightest bit odd.

I've never seen the film Coal Miner's Daughter, but - believe it or not — someone elsewhere referred to this song only last week. When you're into Titanic related pop culture trivia like me, you either know this sort of thing or eventually some equally deluded but helpful individual tells you.

As this is the second reference to the song in less than a fortnight, I just had to look it up. It’s called The Titanic and there’s even an audio file of it on the Amazon.com listing for the soundtrack CD: Coal Miner's Daughter. No doubt a Google search would turn up the lyrics or more information about the song itself. And guess who'll be checking out Biel and Foster later on today?
happy.gif

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Sheesh! What a lullaby! I may be nuts about Titanic, but I would never have thought about singing a song about disaster to my child. Why, I wouldn't even sing the one about the bough breaking and the cradle falling for fear it would traumatize my daughter.

Aug 29, 2000
Tearjerkers were all the rage actually. My Victorian granny used to sing me "Hello Central Give Me Heaven". "The Letter Edged in Black", "Come Home Dear Jack"- and all manner of grisly tunes at night (hmmm.... that explains a lot..)- have uncovered SO many Titanic sad songs that I think it deserves its own thread. Am off to start it up!

Dec 13, 1999
Hi Shell, Alma grew up hearing all the Irish Rebel songs that her mother had learned from her mother in turn. Whilst I could roll out in my pre school days:

Joshuah, Joshuah (why don't you call and see Mamma)

Swing me just a little bit higher (Obadiah do)

Anybody here seen Kelly? (Kelly from the Isle of Man)

The Boers have got my daddy!

Now they were REAL songs!!

Geoff

Dec 12, 1999
I found this on one of the sites that Shelley posted in the "Titanic In Song" thread in General Titanica. This isn't the precise song sang in "Coal Miner's Daughter", but the lyrics are almost the same.
------------------------------------
THE TITANIC (GONE TO REST)

As the moon rose in glory,
Drifting to the golden west,
She told her sad, sad story:
Sixteen hundred have gone to rest.

The watchman was lying down dreaming,
Yes, dreaming a sad, sad dream;
He dreamed the Titanic was sinking
Far out on the deep hlue sea.

He woke and called the rich man,
Told him to come to life;
Told him to save his baby
And also his darling wife.

The rich man, he must have been drinking.
Knowing that he had done wrong.
He tried to win the record
And let the Titanic go down.

When he spied the Titanic was sinking
They fell down upon their knees
And cried, "Oh, Lord, have mercy!
And what will become of me?"

The band was out there playing,
Yes, playing out on the sea.
When they spied the Titanic was sinking
Played "Nearer, My God, to Thee."

When the sad news reached the landing
That the Titanic had gone down.
Many a poor widow and orphan
Was walking all over the town.

The little children were crying
"Oh, Mama has gone to stay."
But surely they will invent something
That will weigh the Titanic some day.

Drom Southern Folk Ballads, McNeil. Collected from Mrs. James
Nash, TN, 1951. Based on song written by Seth Mize.

Status
Not open for further replies.