Coca Cola on the Titanic

• Thread starter Catherine Ehlers
  • Start date
Jan 29, 2001
The added "pep" of Coca Cola was a sure hit with the Victorian Era Baseball players. Among my past Baseball memorabilia holdings was a beautiful ad featuring the great Christy Mathewson advertising the benefits of Coca Cola.
Needless to say "Matty" succumbed to an early death...a result of his stint in the chemical warfare dept. during WWI.

"WAR IS A HUNGRY BEAST THAT DEVOURS EVERYTHING IN IT'S PATH" (Anonymous)

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

May 3, 2005
Dr. Pepper was one of the originals but far from the fisrt, Vernors Ginger Ale and Hires Root Beer beating it onto the market in 1866. Dr. Pepper didn't first come out until December 1st, 1885. See Dr Pepper - Wikipedia

Oddly enough, it appears not to have started life as a patant medicine.
Kroger Supermarket has Dr. K, which comes in a carton and can very similar and tastes very much like Dr. Pepper.
I personally like Dr.K better, but that's just one more of my "Big IMHO's". LOL

Reactions: Michael H. Standart
Nov 14, 2005
>>They had a bunch of stuff patented as medicine that they shouldn't have touched with a 10 foot pole.<<

And some of that didn't even have questionable drugs in them. Just snake oil and about as effective. Dr. Pepper at least was never anything more then a sweet fizzy soft drink.
This thread talked a lot about cocaine being in Coca Cola. Up untill around WW2 7up had a good dose of lithium in it. It was marketed to stressed out housewives and moms. Seems lithium would calm them down or smooth them out if they had depression. But they removed it because they found side effects that were bad.

Nov 14, 2005
I had never heard of Dr. Pepper as a laxative , but it was advertised as a "Pepper Upper."
And "Take bite to eat.........at 10, 2 and 4 O'Clock "
Some people thought Dr. Pepper was prune juice soda so maybe thats where it came from. As has been said in this thread early soda drinks did have medicinal properties. Even when I was younger people would drink Coke for an upset stomach. Seems counter intuitive but it did seem to work. I liked Coca Cola back in the day when they made with it real sugar. It had more zip than the stuff today. Now days Coke is best with a little Jack. I know people that drink hot Dr. Pepper with lemon for colds. They say it makes them feel better. Just a sweeter version of tea and lemon I guess.

Last edited: