Collapsibles A and B

I think A and B were first looked at, AFTER C and D had been launched. Due to location, and that A and B would use the same davits as C and D.

For example, Lightoller helped load and launch D. When done there, he climbed up on the roof with some others, and started trying to get B down to the deck.

Jeremy:

Exactly! Both C and D were lowered just a short distance to the water (10 or 15 feet, I think), and it was coming up fast. By the time A and B were gotten down to the deck, and the crew started trying to attach A to the falls (B being upside down), the water was coming up on deck and it was too late.

T

Terry Adams

This is my first posting. My wife's great uncle was Carl Olof Jansson, a single 3rd class, Swedeish survivor; who entered the water after CA & CB were "launched" and swam to one of them. All sources in this web site show him aboard CA with a friend (August Wennerstrom (Andersson)). However a newspaper article the family has saved mentions that he was aboard an inverted CB with S/O Lightoller and his friend Wennerstrom. One thing I have found is that Carl's interviews changed drastically over time, which is true of many of the 3rd Class surviving men. I am trying to clear this up. Does anyone know of any accurate evidence confirming his being on Collapsible A and not on B ??

If I recall correctly some of Wennerstrom's accounts likewise mentioned Jansson being with him. Wennerstrom's description of the disposition of his boat point to collapsible A, as well as his mention of Mr. and Mrs. Lindell being in or at this boat. One of the Lindells' wedding rings was later found in 'A', lending credence to Wennerstrom (and thus Jansson) being in the boat.

Dear Terry, Carl Olof Jansson wrote a lengthy letter to his parents a short time after the disaster. This letter describes the events in and near collapsible boat A. There is no doubt that he was in boat A.

T

Terry Adams

Dear Peter, Thank you for your response. We do have the letter that Carl wrote to his family after his rescue aboard the Carpathia. It only refers to the boat he and his friend were in, as a "raft" and not as Collapsible "A" or "B". However a later newspaper article from his home town (Wahoo,NE)states that he remembered being in a Collapsible boat with S/O Lightoller (which would have been Collapsible B, not A. This article introduces some doubt as to which boat he was in. Can you tell me why you feel "there is no doubt that he was in boat A" ??

Terry,in his interviews in Swedish, he mentions being on a raft filled with water. As far as I can remember, he never mentioned that the boat was upside down or something to that effect. Either he or Wennerström talked about the Lindells being in or near the boat, and the fact that their wedding ring (the Lindell one) was found in boat A later would confirm their presence in the boat. There was no other Swede with them as far as I know.

Peter

Has anyone else noticed that in almost every novel about the Titanic that the hero of the story always jumps overboard and is rescued by Collapsible B? What is the fascination with that boat? After all, a boat is a boat.

When writing fiction, collapsible B comes in handy because the exact number on board it is a bit vague. A writer can happily add one more. The numbers taken into the conventional lifeboats are far better known. And, of course, it makes the fictional character's escape more dramatic.

As far as I can see, the collapsibles were not known by letters until the British inquiry reported. None of the witnesses mention them by letter in the inquiries or in the press. Their accounts are therefore sometimes a bit confusing.