Collection of White Star logbooks found in New Jersey

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Interesting stuff, Pat. Just so happens I didn't get around to reading today's Ledger yet; thanks for the tip-off.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Very interesting Pat - I'm sure you'll keep an eye on this one! First thought was that they sounded like they might be Official Logs, which are interesting in and of themselves, but I'm not sure if the description wholly fits that...I'll be intrigued as to exactly which type of log they are.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I suspect they are not what sailors understand logbooks to be. They were evidently maintained by one man over a long period. He's referred to as a 'timekeeper'. Maybe they record the arrivals and sailings of the various ships, or work done on them by shore staff.

Pat Winship

May 8, 2001
There's a photo of the covers of three of them in the Ledger. Each is labeled with the name of a single ship. There are also some ship photographs with it. I don't think they're onboard logs, but something to do with what went on with the ships in port.

T

Timothy Trower

Pat,

The more I've read about this, the more intrigued I am. This didn't show up in any of my news alerts, and you've done a great service in not only reporting the story, but following up as well. Please let us know what else you find out.

Pat Winship

May 8, 2001
So far, nothing. I'm going to write a polite letter to the lady who owns them, and let her know that a lot of people all around the world would like to know what they are, and where they're going to end up.