Colonel Gracie's Account of the Sinking

P

Paul Lee

Walter Lord referred to it in 1986, so it must have been available then.

Thanks, shipmate!

P

Paul Lee

Just had an instantaneous thought: what if no copies exist and Lord was reffering frm memory or from other means?
That means that no copies exist/

M

Mark Robert Hopkins

Whatever exists, I would very much like to read it. I would have to look for it. Gracie's account, whether true or false or controversial, is one of the predominant survivor accounts of the Titanic, along with Lightoller's, Bride's, Ismay's, and Beesley's.

Thanks, Paul! It's much appreciated.
Happy

R

Roy Kristiansen

G'day, Inger!

>>I tend to refer to the Inquiry transcripts rather than Gracie's excerpts of them.

I agree with you totally. But would you agree as well that it's been only in the past few years that access to the transcripts has become widely available? (Thank you, thank you, folks of the T.I.P.!!) Prior to that I'd had to rely on bits and pieces that some other author had deigned to excerpt.
>>Have you gone through to see if there's any other selective editing on Gracie's part?

No, not yet. My primary focus lately has been on my Harbeck project, and I compared Gracie's version of Mrs. Ryerson to the transcript simply on a whim. But now that I've tasted blood, so to speak, perhaps I'll take up the matter as a kind of "side dish." Just keep feeding me your stories about the Great Whites, eh? '-)

BTW, Inger, please refresh my memory. Where in Australia is your home? I have an Australian friend here who's curious.

Best wishes, my friend!

Roy

R

Roy Kristiansen

Hi, Mark and Paul!

>>What a shame a transcript of Gracie's talk shortly before he died isn't in general circulation....

Right! So what's the bleedin' problem?? I feel the same way about the audio recording of Lightoller's BBC radio broadcast, which again, I've heard only in "bits and pieces."

Best wishes, guys!

Roy

Inger Sheil

Inger Sheil

G'day there, Roy!
quote:

I agree with you totally. But would you agree as well that it's been only in the past few years that access to the transcripts has become widely available?
Oh, absolutely! I had to fork out a fortune for the bound compilations of evidence and reports of both inquires before they were transcribed by the good folks working on the TIP. I take your point, that there may be a good many people who have been mislead by this manipulation of a source. I only mentioned that I used the transcripts rather than Gracie as an aside noting that I would never have picked up the selective editing that your eagle eye found.

No GWS lately here, but I'm looking forward to an upcoming scuba diving liveaboard expedition to a remote, very sharky reef in the coral sea (there's a possibility of schooling hammerheads!). I live in Sydney - or rather, just North of it.

Cheers -

Ing​

M

Mikael Jonsson

I just bought the edition from 1929 with photos from the "new" movie Atlantic
Happy

It was absolutely worth the 30 USD.

best regards, Mikael

M

Mikael Jonsson

Hi again.

I received an e-mail from someone here on the forum who wanted to know more about the 1929 edition.

It is in Swedish and is in 130 pages.
In the foreword you can read about the new movie Atlantic which will be in sound
Happy

It is printed by Bonniers 1930.

There are about 20 photos from Atlantic as illustrations. It is a softcoverbook.
I don't know how common it is, but I have seen
at least one more for sale on the Swedish Ebay.

I attach two photos here below:

T

Tarn Stephanos

Oddly enough several Gracies have popped up this month on Ebay...
But of course, all copies were the maroon coloured version.....
That elusive green coloured version is the one to buy...
Regards

tarn Stephanos

S

Susan Alby

I have the Unabridged AUDIO book on tape in my possession by Col. Gracie, except on the cover it says only 'Titanic', not 'The Truth About the Titanic'. I am assuming it is the same book in a different format? It is read by Frederick Davidson and it is as though you are hearing Gracie tell his story from his own mouth.