COLOUR LUXURY LINER ROWS

Feb 14, 2011
I know this is an old thread..But I just have to say 'wow'- If these are not artificially colored b&w photos, they are gorgous..

C

Charles Sachs

The top photo would seem tinted since you would never see that water blue. The bottom aerial was lifted off the cover of the 1985 "Ship To Shore" journal of ONRS which featured the 50th anniversary of the Normandie maiden voyage. The text has been cropped off the wider shot. This is a match to a shore side high angle view (not sure if ever published recently) that is from the right of the Normandie and you can see the other ships behind. The aerial was found in the early '80 by the late Steven Emmons, who passed away around 15+ years ago. They were in the files of a newspaper that was closing and he grabbed them. A large selection of orig b/w negs of her maiden voyage arrival was there (35-45 views) as well as 3-4 sets of carbro negatives (3 each) used in the first color printing process for archival prints before dye transfer (4 negs) which was used until about 15 years ago, a lost photo art printing form. There was a 16X20 print which a 8X10 color transparency came from which is what was used for this cover picture. Years later, after an extensive search, an expert in dye transfer and carbro printing was able to combine the sets of negatives, which had all shrunk with age and had excessive dust spots and were combined and made in 4X5 transparencies. They show the Normandie pulling out, starboard bow angled in the channel and a full broadside. Indeed, the funnels were bright red. The 16X20 aerial print was later sold by poster dealer Jack Banning at PosterAmerica in NYC 20 or so years ago. No idea who has that now. There was also a picture of the Normandie on fire (in color) in the collection which was in the journal too. It has sold many times in eBay, sometimes over $100. It is available.

C

Charles Sachs

Forgot to mention, years ago author Bill Miller called this, "The most important picture in maritime history." It is a special shot and I always am amazed what great finds still surface, hidden away or lost in some attic.

Feb 14, 2011
If you had the opportunity to hop into a time machine and spend an afternoon touring the decks of only 1 of the ships depicted- which would you choose?

I'd pick the Ile de France....

K

Kyle Johnstone

Only one?
You're so strict!

I take it that you don't mean on that particular day, when the two Cunarders are already dressed for war?

I would like to say I'm already familiar with the Queen Mary, but that wouldn't be true as so much of her was lost in Long Beach, and I'd love to see her pre-war.

Please visit her through my eyes:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/548029046DhLMbq

http://travel.webshots.com/album/548037490qJAXCT

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/548035642DdkcQd

So, that leaves the Italian masterpiece, or the last of the Edwardian floating palaces,
the first of the Deco/neuveau palaces, or the French Rival.

I can't decide.
Yes I can. Queen Mary.

C

Charles Sachs

I let my posting pass two weeks to see what would be said about the history of the stern angle aerial of the four ships. Is interesting that not one person bothered to say thanks for the "original source" information where this came from or any comment whatsoever, which I had been warned was typical of this web site. It was like several years when I listed on eBay the sale of a bedroom in England made from the Olympic's smoking room. It was attacked as a fake and when eBay closed the auction, the many who attacked the item then admitted it was real and did you "copy" the pictures. The "lifting" or others would say "stealing" of the images and not give the source is also typical of many today who often seem to claim of their "new discovery" that is this case is not new. There could have been more later but this maybe will be my last comments in this web site. You failed the integrity and appreciation test 100%. And also, saying was available was a test to see if anyone really was interested in more like the color fire shot. No one asked. Further confirmation of warnings I had of who frequents this web site. The spell check is a good addition review.

Sep 2, 2009
Mr Sachs:

I will not comment on the above post.

But I will ask the question when are you going to deliver the copies of your magazine's that several people ordered many years ago? Many have yet to see anything yet but the checks were cashed.

No further comment

C

Charles Sachs

Send me a copy of the cashed check and will send a refund. Or, can send you some past issues in exchange for equal value, especially since many have gone up in value when sold on eBay. Advise your address to match our records. Many, by the way who sent checks when we went on hold, were never cashed. This was 10 years ago? I think my comments were well put and yours is what it is. Again, will send a refund. If those lost contact with us, the post office changed our PO Box and then the branch closed and has converted to condos. Therefore forwarding would have expired long ago. Send info to [email protected].
Charles Sachs

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Moderator's Note: A message posted to this thread a few hours ago, which some of you may have seen here or received by email, has been removed, at least temporarily. Any responses to that message will suffer the same fate.

Please be guided accordingly.