Colour Photos Link

Russell Smith

Jun 18, 2009
For some reason, the lines of the Aquitania remind me of the Queen Mary. I don't know why. Clearly upon inspection they are completely different in their parts, but taken as a whole they look similar.

Call me crazy.

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi All,

Hmmm. I am not sure how what appear to be very low quality second/third generation scans of copies struck from original slides from known photographer(s) and collection(s) came to be online. However, they are horridly degenerated, cropped and in truly desperate need of serious color correction. And proper credit to the original photographer and current copyright owner!!!
Anyway, most all of those images of the Aquitania, and a heck of a lot more of her in true corrected color, can be properly seen in Mark Chirnside's new and excellent book R.M.S. Aquitania: The Ship Beautiful, published by The History Press.
I was very fortunate to have been asked by Mark to color correct and restore the uncropped images as scanned from the original transparencies (which did not appear as pink, dull and overexposed as these copies). It is my hope you will be very pleased with the finished images, especially when comparing the restored images in Mark's book with these corrupted online scans. I tried my best to recapture and evoke the feel of the day and of the Aquitania herself. I strongly urge anyone who wants to see this ship in "real color" to order a copy of Mark's book as it is there you will fully experience this great liner. True to form, Mark's text is sterling and the data he has compiled is indeed impressive.
As to the original photographer(s), I believe many were taken by Mr. John Blake and the images reside in the collections of Mr. Richard Weiss and Mr. Stephen Anderson respectively. Mark will please correct me if I have bungled that credit information. To paraphrase Mark's words - "any mistakes are my own".

Best,
Eric Longo

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
Thanks for the info, Eric. It will be neat to see the images in Mark's new book ~ I have it on my Christmas "wish list". The suspense is a good thing for me, since I have already indulged in self-gratification with the purchase of both "Titanic, The Ship Magnificent" volumes.
happy.gif

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Anyway, most all of those images of the Aquitania, and a heck of a lot more of her in true corrected color, can be properly seen in Mark Chirnside's new and excellent book R.M.S. Aquitania: The Ship Beautiful, published by The History Press.<<

I agree. My copy just arrived in the post this afternoon. It's not an easy book to put down and the quality of the photos is outstanding! A superb job!

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Mike, Hi Jason,

Many thanks Mike - I am really very pleased you enjoyed the restored images at the back of the book. And you are right - it is hard to put down. I also like the last image in the book of rough seas as it is so evocative.
Jason, I'm sure you will like Mark's book - in addition to his quality writing there are some very stunning images from quite unusual vantages of her in several ports of call. I do wish some Autochrome plates or Dufay Color 35mm slides of the Old Mauretania would surface!
I too have "self-indulged" with a few nice items this year, but for some odd reason my collecting is slowing down a bit!

Best always,
Eric

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi All,

I was just watching the 1953 movie Houdini with Tony Curtis. I imagine many of you are aware of this, but I have not seen this film in over 30 years. Anyway, about 35 minutes into the movie there are a few moments of color footage showing a starboard broadside view of the Aquitania.

Best wishes,
Eric

Jan 29, 2001
Eric, thanks for the AQUITANIA notice, I too was watching the Houdini movie, but while surfing the tube I missed the segment featuring A.
You yourself probably collects the ship as well?
I was fortunate in obtaining a lithographed tip-tray in pristine condition...still had a period paper cover on the surface.
(BTW: I adore Tony Curtis in the "Boston Strangler".

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
"...but while surfing the tube I missed the segment featuring A."

Hi Michael,

not hard to do - it was a few fleeting moments, but a pleasure to see in fairly unfaded color. While I have a few neat candids of the Aquitania (one is in Mark Chirnside's new book) I do not really collect from her - just my beloved Mauretania.

Best,
Eric

Jan 29, 2001
Also I have a large, approx. 8 x 10 starboard broadside of Aquitania in "razzle dazzle". It is easy to understand the principal of the camouflage in my WWI period photograph...the forepeak is "dazzled" to mock a stern. I also have the steroview of Aquitania in war-paint.
Eric can an enlarged photograph be printed from a steroview card?

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Mike,

Yes, I used to have the same stereo view, Keystone I believe, bringing African American troops back if my memory is working. I think this image is also in the Chirnside book.
Certainly an enlarged photograph can be printed from such an stereo view - there is one in the Ballard/Dunmore Lusitania volume. Much better results can be achieved. If you find dazzle interesting you might enjoy this thread linked below. Long but very interesting. I linked the archived part - there is another page after it:

WW1 Dazzle

Best,
Eric

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi All,

I was just watching the "classic" Ape Man of 1943 with Bela Lugosi and the Aquitania appears in two or three shots at the very start. Not sure if I mentioned this here before.

Best,
Eric