Columbo and DaVinci

Apr 27, 2005
Can anyone direct me to good photographs of the Cristoforo Columbo and Leonardo DaVinci? The first was sister ship to the Andrea Doria, the second followed the Doria, but with many of the same lines. I had hopes that one has survived, but I understand that both burned.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Hi, Richard: The Lido Fleet (Peter Kohler) Transatlantici (Maurizio Eliseo) William Miller's Italian Line photo book are the best places to start.

Jan 1, 2007
Hello, Richard:
You can find just about anything on eBay. Do you ever shop there? I log onto their site and search under the names of famous ships on a regular basis. There are always pretty good photos up for auction at reasonable prices there.

Apr 27, 2005
I check eBay regularly, but I have been looking for images of the ships retired, or as scrap. THere is a good one of the DaVinci, as a listing, burned out hulk, in the scrap yard. Another is out there showing two views of the Mchaelangelo at Alang, towed up on the beach and ripped open. Rather sad ending to some of the most beautiful ships ever built. I think the Doria is the most intact of any of the great Italian liners. THe Raffaello may still be sunken at her mooring, but rusted and rotten from laying on the harbor floor for 25 years. I've never seen an image of her as a wreck.