Commissioning a Ken Marshall painting

B

Bob_Read

You’ll be talking to an agent for Ken. You won’t get to talk to Ken until you show them the money.

B

Bob_Read

It depends on a lot of factors but it’s probably one of those things where if you have to ask how much you probably can’t afford it.

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
Prepare to have your price expectations blown out of the water.

You might find something more in that price range on Fiver or DeviantArt

B

Bob_Read

Take your price estimates and multiply them by at least 100. We’re talking the big leagues now.

B

Bob_Read

Sorry to disappoint but some things are beyond our reach. I know a lot of things are beyond mine. You just have to make peace with it.

Reactions: 1 user

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
I don‘t want to spoil it, but high or low?
I don't know, but the man has an agent. If the agent is paid $30/hr and spends 30 minutes dealing with your request, then that's at least $15 tacked on to your order minimum, before there's even discussion of the art. And I'll bet it's more than that.

Typical beginning artists charge $20-80 for light to moderate quality pieces. I'd guess someone at Marshall's level for the quality you're thinking of is probably at least $500. If you think of the skill level and the amount of time it takes to paint like that... I'd guess at least 100 hours at $30/hr is likely in the $2000-$5000 range. I wouldn't be surprised if it was higher.

Nov 14, 2005
For an original painting I believe the numbers being posted are low. I'm pretty sure of it because of info I found on the net. Even though what I found is public I don't feel comfortable posting the link. It's his livelihood after all and that should be between him and his customers. But that aside he is my favorite Titanic artist and I have his book and others with his paintings in them. Great artist IMHO. His Zeppelin paintings are pretty impressive too.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Sorry to disappoint but some things are beyond our reach. I know a lot of things are beyond mine. You just have to make peace with it.
Thats a good way to look at it. Maybe you and I will get lucky, w
For an original painting I believe the numbers being posted are low. I'm pretty sure of it because of info I found on the net. Even though what I found is public I don't feel comfortable posting the link. It's his livelihood after all and that should be between him and his customers. But that aside he is my favorite Titanic artist and I have his book and others with his paintings in them. Great artist IMHO. His Zeppelin paintings are pretty impressive too.
thank you. I was planning on asking for a 1912 version of the Bow or Stern wreck. what do you think?

Stephen Carey

Apr 25, 2016
Philippines
Thats a good way to look at it. Maybe you and I will get lucky, w
thank you. I was planning on asking for a 1912 version of the Bow or Stern wreck. what do you think?
I reckon he's done a few of the bow and the stern, so maybe a genuine print is your best option? They are usually numbered and sometimes of limited issue, so are worth a fair bit. I doubt he'd be interested in painting yet another shot of the bow when it's been done so many times? To check prices, just see how much modern artists charge for pretty crap paintings and unmade beds! The research and detail that KM puts into his paintings is going to cost on at least a per hour basis, and I think that 100 hours is well short of the mark. I charge up to $200/hr for what I do (I'm not an artist, I'm a marine engineer) on consultancy, and it takes around a month to churn out a specification for something like an FPSO. At $1600 a day for say 20 days (ie a working month) that's $32k - and I'm not even remotely famous or gifted like Ken is!

Nov 14, 2005
If you read his bio he might be ready to start winding down a bit. But I have no idea of his work plans. It's his living and he might not consider it a job but a calling. But from my personal experience after 30 years of doing the same thing it lost its luster so to speak.

Last edited:

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
I reckon he's done a few of the bow and the stern, so maybe a genuine print is your best option? They are usually numbered and sometimes of limited issue, so are worth a fair bit. I doubt he'd be interested in painting yet another shot of the bow when it's been done so many times? To check prices, just see how much modern artists charge for pretty crap paintings and unmade beds! The research and detail that KM puts into his paintings is going to cost on at least a per hour basis, and I think that 100 hours is well short of the mark. I charge up to $200/hr for what I do (I'm not an artist, I'm a marine engineer) on consultancy, and it takes around a month to churn out a specification for something like an FPSO. At $1600 a day for say 20 days (ie a working month) that's $32k - and I'm not even remotely famous or gifted like Ken is!
I think I ‘ll do the stern. But its fine if he doesn't want to