Commodore Bartlett bio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rod Stringer

Jul 7, 1998
I have compiled a short biography of Captain Bartlett, drawn mainly from Liverpool newspapers/journal of commerce at the time of his death. I live in Crosby, Merseyside, a suburb to the north of Liverpool. It is amazing that at one time or another, the captains of the Titanic, Lusitania, Empress of Ireland and Britannic all lived within a few minutes walking-distance of each other! Bruce Ismay was born and brought up in the town! I hope you find this of interest and would welcome any comments/corrections .
http://homepages.whi ch.net/~rod.stringer /britannic.htm

Remco Hillen

Dec 13, 1999
Hello Rod,

Good to see the outcome of your research!
Finally a good(very good, interesting facts, very well written; my compliments!)biograp hy of Bartlett is around.

2 points though; About Britannic's size and the appointment of Bartlett to Britannic.

-(this piece comes from 'The last voyage of His Majesty's Hospital ship Britannic', explains it all well):
At 48.158 tons the Britannic was actually the largest British ship. The largest ship afloat was Hamburg Amerika's 54.282 tons Vaterland. At the time of the writing(This book is written by Rev. Flemming, who tells about his story onboard the ship),Britannic was the largest vessel actually in service. Imperator was laid up in Hamburg, Vaterland was interned in New York, while the even larger Bismarck was still lying incomplete at the Blohm&Voss shipyard, Hamburg

-Bartlett was not White Star's first choice for the position on Britannic. The first choice was Capt. Haddock, Sanderson described him as ...the very best man in our employ....
The request was turned down, and Bartlett was appointed.
Some weeks before this, White Star had asked the Admirality something similar; they wanted Haddock back on Olympic. This was turned down and Capt. Hayes was appointed.

Again, good job!

Regards,
Remco

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Remco & Rod!

(BTW Rod, 'welcome aboard.')

I've had a quick look at the biography -- very good. It's good to see interest on Britannic and her crew on the up.
smile.gif

I've got the White Star letter around here somewhere, if you want me to quote it?

Best regards,

Mark.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi!

Noticed one thing:

On the bridge, Captain Bartlett sensed his vessel was lost, and at 8.35 am he ordered "Stop Engines" and officially gave the order to abandon ship.

One point, though: this seems to imply that the engines were stopped forever at this time. They were not. Around this time they were stopped for the first time in order for the safe launching of the lifeboats, but you do not mention that they were re-started at 8.45 a.m. It was after the engines were re-started that Captain Bartlett actually signalled the final abandon ship command; around 9 a.m. I understand.

If you are interested in the sinking, you may find the thread below of interest, titled: 'Report of a formal investigation into the sinking of the HMHS Britannic.'

Another aspect is the number of casualies, you'll find a discussion in this forum entitled 'Raise the Britannic.'

Best regards,

Mark.

Jan 14, 2001
Hi Rod,

Nice work indeed!I had a quick look too.

If you want more info Simon Mills has written a very detailed bio of Captain Bartlett in "Titanic Commutator"(Vol 25,2001).

Regards,
Michail

Status
Not open for further replies.