Compass Tower

J

Jonathan Payette

Hello,

I was wondering what was the use of the compass tower since there was a compass on the bridge (of what I know) ? Also, why was it located between the second and third funnels, on a tower ?

Thanks for answering,
Jonathan

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The compass tower was located where it was because this is where it would have the least interference from the magnetic field put out by the iron in the ship's hull. This is where they would get the most reliable information on whatever course they were on.

Aug 10, 2002
Michael:
I understand what you are saying, and know that is what they thought, but I firmly believe they were wrong. When I sailed on the Training Vessel State of Maine III, (ex USNS Upshur) she had the Standard Magnetic Compass on a platform made of wood and brass. However as opposed to Titanic, it was on the flying bridge, ie. over wheelhouse. I also understand that BOT made White Star move the one on the Olympic post Titanic. It would seem very clumsy to have the Standard Compass so far away from the bridge, and right in the midst of the mass of metal.
Regards,
Charlie Weeks

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
There are a few other reasons why Titanic's compass platform was between the 2 asnd 3rd funnel. In April Dave Brown and I will explain why.