Compensation for the survivors

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Hi David

I seem to remember on another thread, that Eleanor Smith, the wife of Captain Smith, made representations to the relief fund on behalf of Wilde's dependent children. I thought they were supported during their schooling?

Dec 6, 2000
The THS Titanic Relief Fund booklet I have lists under Class A Dependants:
Case No C.23 Wilde 2 daughters and 2 sons.
Under the 4th Schedule: Normal Scale of Maximum Weekly Payments and Allowances; since there are only children mentioned I looked at the last column - Children: With amounts depending on the number. After 4 is says 8/6.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Hi Lester

I found what I was looking for under 'Crew research', Wilde Henry, sub-thread Wilde's children.

Brian Ticehurst gave details of an extra payment from the relief fund of £5.5.0 per annum, paid for 3 years to the Guardian of the children in respect of their education, to be reviewed at the end of this period

Jun 24, 2018
Teresa, I repeat, there is no complete list of all money paid out. Too many records have vanished. It's possible that money was paid by the Mansion House Fund as late as 1997. I've even seen claims that there is still somebody receiving money.

Certain researchers are working on this in the UK but it's a devil of a job. I can't see a full record ever being made. Give the researchers time, they'll need it.

Most of the money that went to passengers was raised in the USA. A huge fund was run from the Mayor of New York's office. There could be a great deal of material there. A few British passengers returned to the UK and were helped. We seem to know more about them than about the hundreds that stayed in the USA.

Darren, the musos sure got a raw deal from White Star, but their dependents were well cared for. The Mansion House Fund agreed to treat the musos as passengers. They also were helped by the huge benefit concert held on 24 May 1912 in the Royal Albert Hall.

I would think that the worst off would have been the dependents of crew who received the minimum compensation of 150 pounds and were left with a horde of children to care for.
From what I have read so far, Charlotte Cardeza filed a claim for $177,352.75. In the end of all the lawsuits, she was only compensated $8,000