Complete cast list of A Night to Remember

R

Randy Bryan Bigham

Tracy and Inger,

Thank you for clarifying. It's great to see the actual text of the documents alluded to. There is definitely an entirely different tone in the passages you've shared.

It's easy for non-experts without a constructive agenda to rattle off fragmented facts. Thank goodness for the efforts of genuine researchers like yourselves.

Tracy, as you know, I much respect you for the level headed persistence you've exhibited in your commendable research into the life of Captain Lord.

I do wish I had your forbearance with critics. I haven't the grace to suffer fools, the result often being that I end up one myself!

Anyhow you've done, as usual, an admirable job in setting out the facts for us.

All my best,

Randy

Maureen Zottoli

Maureen Zottoli

Tracy and I voted and we think you have the patience of Job, Randy!

Great posts Mike, Adam, Erik, Tracy, Randy and Inger!

R

Robert Falange

In answer to Michael Shetina's question, posted on 11th August last:

I'm looking at the excellent cast list included in Jeffrey Richards' "A Night To Remember : The Definitive Titanic Film" (which arrived in the post today from amazon.co.uk) and "Miss Evans" was played by Olwen Brookes.

cheers,

bob

M

Marty Comes

I wonder if anyone can help me....

Does anybody know the name of the actor, who played Wallace Hartley in A Night To Remember?
He and the other actors who made up the Band, aren't even credited in the complete cast list at IMDb.

I'd appreciate any answer anyone can give me...thanks so much in advance!

Love,
Marty

B

Bob Godfrey

Hallo, Marty. 'Orchestra leader' is listed as an uncredited role played by Charles Belchier, who I suspect was a professional musician rather than an actor. I've never come across the name in connection with any other acting role.

Bill Willard

Bill Willard

In 1999, we hosted a Titanic conference featuring Bernard Fox as our guest. He was most entertaining, and his role as Fleet in ANTR and Gracie in Cameron's Titanic gave us a unique opportunity.

He graced us with filming tidbits about both movies.

The one that may most be of value to the original topic of this forum, A Complete Cast List of ANTR, was about the drunken sailor finding his way back to his cabin. "Could you show us the way to our bunks?"

The speaking role who stated the above line was Bernard Fox's real life father who had been selected for the role with his family unaware. Many of the scenes in ANTR were one-day shoots, and that facilitated so many cameo roles (such as James Bond's Q - Desmond Llewelyn) and so forth.

Bernard Fox told us that, at the British premier, he was most proud of his two speaking lines (the first was about not drinking all the coffee when he went on duty in the crow's nest, the second, of course, every Titanic person knows). But he was most proud when he saw his "old man" later, and knowing nothing about it, was happily surprised. It was the only opportunity they would have to work together, if my memory is correct.

M

Marty Comes

Hallo, Marty. 'Orchestra leader' is listed as an uncredited role played by Charles Belchier....

Thank you so much, Bob!!!
You made my day!!
Happy

Love,
Marty

R

Roy Kristiansen

Re: The ANTR cast

The IMDB list omits one very prominent (or soon to be prominent) name: Sean Connery. Yes, he appeared in ANTR as an extra, playing a member of the Titanic's crew. If you look carefully, you can spot him, in what looks like a fake black beard and moustache, helping to load one of the port-side lifeboats.

Best wishes!

Roy

D

Deborah Russes

Although I am not sure of the rules...if an actor/extra/whatever is not a SAG member at the time a film was made in which he appeared, he may not be listed as a cast member on the IMDB list for that film. I'm pretty sure that SAG, SEG, AEA, AFTRA any other unions have strict rules regarding their members.

R

Roy Kristiansen

Hi, Deborah!

Most, if not all, of the unions you mention are in the United States. When Connery appeared in ANTR (that's about all you can say about it!), he hadn't yet made any American films and so wouldn't have been under those unions' jurisdiction. However, he had already appeared in a few small -- and basically forgettable -- British films, as well as having done stage and TV work over there. You can go to this site to see his filmography:

Something else to consider, Deborah, is that in 1957 Connery wasn't yet famous. Dr. No was still about five years away. When one does a film about the Titanic, with the daunting task of having to simulate 2,200+ passengers and crew, it's just impossible to list every single person who appears in a nonspeaking extra role.

Never fear, Deborah; Connery's ship was about to come in! :)

Best wishes!

Roy

B

Bob Godfrey

Connery spotting was a popular sport a few years back when the ANTR connection was first listed in the Cinemania CD-ROM and has since migrated from there to many website listings. Detractors have pointed out that ANTR is nowhere mentioned or listed in Connery's biographies and that at the time when ANTR was in production he had progressed well beyond the 'uncredited extra' stage of his career and was making headway at the level of supporting actor. But the seaman character mentioned by Roy is in fact a speaking role, albeit only two very short lines. The voice sounds nothing like Connery (as fans will know, Connery always sounds like Connery!), but since the character has his back to the camera at that moment the lines could have been added in post-production using another actor.

Extras and bit part players often take on several roles (in Cameron's film, witness the same faces in the steerage party and in the 1st Class dining room!), and the man in question has at least 2 roles - as a seaman in the "Goodbye my dear son" sequence (as spotted by Roy) and again more prominently on the poop deck just before the sinking, transformed by the make-up department into a middle-aged passenger. My conclusion is that if that man ain't Connery, then he must have an identical twin!

If anyone wants to make their own comparisons, see this link to some screen shots. I have included two pics known to be Connery, including one in middle age as a better comparison to the make-up artists's efforts to 'age' the actor.

www bobgod1 btinternet co uk/et/connery.jpg

B

Bob Godfrey

That link is a slow connection at times, so you might need to be patient waiting for a result.

I

Iain Stuart Yardley

Hmmmm.....I dunno......the first one looks like him, the one with the sticky-on beard thing (looks like my stepdad actually), but the second one as the passenger.....not entirely convinced.....