Complete cast list of A Night to Remember

Fiona Nitschke

Fiona Nitschke

Thanks for the images, Bob. They're very clear. Despite agreeing on the startling likeness (particular the face of the seaman) I'm not quite convinced that it's him. As much as I squint at the screen I can't get the ears to quite match up. Even allowing for the different angles and lighting, the lobes seem to be different shapes.

Interesting that the filmography on the Connery site Roy posted does include ANTR. I don't think I would've believed it otherwise. However, the lighting, angles, make up and what not do make a difference.

I don't suppose anyone's ashked the great man himshelf? I'll volunteer if no one elshe does. Or should we jusht write to Parky? ;)

B

Bob Godfrey

Go for it, Fiona. You never know, you might get a dinner date out of it. But if he gets out the gold paint, head for the nearest exit.

M

Mark Robert Hopkins

You know, I was wondering who that was (the third picture). I presumed it was supposed to be Astor. That one doesn't appear like Connery to me, and, in the second picture, the crewman has a beard. Did Connery have a beard in the late-50s?

R

Roy Kristiansen

Just a guess, but that beard appears to me to have been supplied by the make-up department...

E

Eric Paddon

Personally, I think the whole story of Connery being in ANTR is just a case of how the lax standards of imdb some years ago often caused a lot of misinformation to get posted (case in point-Almost every famous Biblical epic movie has some nut making posts in the "goofs" section about people wearing sneakers and wristwatches in scenes when none of its true). Someone saw a guy that he thought was Sean Connery and made a post to that effect and the misinformation I think has stuck ever since.

Probably the strangest early Connery role I ever saw was a bit part on the Jack Benny Show when he plays a Rome taxi driver, complete with bad Italian accent (this was an episode shot at Pinewood Studios when Benny took his TV show to Europe to film some episodes, which was why the young Connery ended up with this unlikely part).

R

Roy Kristiansen

>>Personally, I think the whole story of Connery being in ANTR is just a case of how the lax standards of imdb some years ago often caused a lot of misinformation to get . . .

Hi, Eric!

Are you saying you feel Sir Sean is not in ANTR?? And that imdb was just being sloppy? Well then, you're going to have to take on his own official website

http://www.seanconnery.com/index.cfm

where his filmography clearly lists ANTR. He's also very recognizable in one of the still shots in MacQuitty's book.

Roy

E

Eric Paddon

I've found from past experience that filmographies on official websites are not necessarily put together with the greatest of efficiency. Since actors themselves don't always remember what they did when they're doing a large number of projects early on, it's usually too easy for the filmography of an official website to be assembled from a place like imdb in the first place which has done all the work ahead of time.

I have watched ANTR a large number of times, and rabid 007 fan that I am, I can always spot Desmond Llewelyan's brief appearance and hear his one line, but I've still seen nothing that resembles or sounds like Connery anywhere.

R

Roy Kristiansen

Eric, your expectations may be too high. Connery was a lowly extra (a Titanic crewman helping to load a lifeboat) and had no spoken lines. He was also wearing a fake black beard and mustache, sort of in the Captain Nemo tradition. You have to be quick to spot him because he's in only one scene (...that I've spotted, anyway).

I promise to give the movie a look tonight and have more specific info for you tomorrow.

Cheers!

Roy

R

Roy Kristiansen

If you have the Criterion Collection DVD, look at the beginning of Chapter 22, "Goodbye my dear son".

If you have ANTR on VHS, the scene comes directly after Joughin's "All roads lead to Rome."

Roy

Stanley C Jenkins

Stanley C Jenkins

One of the many interesting things about ET is the detailed analysis of films such as A Night to Remember, which can be regarded historic in their own right. I was thinking the other day about the various well-known actors and actresses who appear in A Night To Remember, albeit in “bit parts”. Some examples that come to mind include Honor Blackman (later of the Avengers), David MacCallum (later of The Man from Uncle), Joseph Tomelty (father of the actress Frances Tomelty), Gerald Harper, Sean Connery, Stratford Johns (Z-Cars TV actor) and Bernard Fox — I am sure there are many more who subsequently became famous (or relatively famous) stars of film or TV.

R

Rocky Whiteside

Sean Connery was in ANTR?

[Moderator's Note: This message and the one above it, originally a separate thread, have been moved to this pre-existing thread addressing the same subject. MAB]

Stanley C Jenkins

Stanley C Jenkins

Sean Connery had a very minor part in A Night to Remember - he was also, as a matter of interest, in The Longest Day, where he played a Scottish private jumping out of a landing craft onto a Normandy Beach while exchanging cheery working class banter with a Scouse soldier (if I remember correctly, somebody says "There's a lot of very funny people on this beach").

B

Bob Godfrey

Sean Connery may or may not have been in ANTR (see the postings earlier in this thread). But that scouse soldier who jumped from the landing craft with him was Norman Rossington, who certainly was in ANTR - as a 3rd Class steward. "I say you get dressed, get lifebelt quick. Savvy? Chop chop!"

Stanley C Jenkins

Stanley C Jenkins

Yes Bob, you're right - I remember him as a steward in A Night to Remember. In fact. Norman Rossington seems to have been the archetypal relentlessly cheery British working class steward/soldier/sailor. Was he in the 1950s, TV programme "The Army Game"?

B

Bob Godfrey

He was indeed, Stanley. As 'Cupcake' if I remember right! American members of our generation might remember him best as the Beatle's road manager in A Hard Day's Night.

Also in AHDN, in a small role as a waiter, was Eddie Malin, who again played a waiter in ANTR: "I tell you she's thrown a propellor blade, I was in the old Majestic when the same thing happened". But it was Eddie's second scene that everybody remembers: "Keep off this child! ... We'll find Mummy, we'll soon find her."