Composite construction on RMS Titanic?

Oliver K

Jul 8, 2018
Hello, i haven't been active on here that much lately so i thought i'd post a quick question.

I've recently been studying the construction of RMS Titanic and structural engineering in general, and i learned of the composite construction used in the original Twin Towers, in short, they layed prefab steel floor panels, that also carried trusses that functioned as joists, and then layed 4 inches of concrete over the steel panels.

This reminded me of something i actually found out about a few years ago, and that was Hardings Litosilo, a specialized form of cement that was used as the subflooring on the Olympic Class ocean liners, and the way it was layed, is very similar, if not identical, to that of the WTC's composite construction, there's even steel clips on both, that as i seem to remember are there to prevent the subflooring from changing shape?

This got me thinking, did Titanic and the rest of the Olympic class, use a form of composite construction in it's use of cement or concrete over steel, and if so, why is the WTC regarded as a composite construction whereas titanic was not? what is hardings litosilo exactly? i've always assumed it was some kind of patented magnesia cement but i've never been certain.

I will appreciate any discussion on the topic, for all i know i might be the first to bring up the use of composite construction onboard titanic

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
As so often these days, the information is already on this site. Seek and ye shall find!

Curiously, the brand name is still around. The modern material is described as polymer modified cement and it's magnesium free. It's used much as in 1912.

Reactions: 1 user