Condition of bodies after the descent

A

Alyson Jones

Hi Inger. Sea life are made to live in the sea, while humans are made to live on land!
happy.gif

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I wonder how much research went into the answer, Jeremy? I imagine it would depend on variable factors such as how much calcium is in seawater at that depth. Might be difficult to nail it down without either lab experiments replicating those deep sea conditions or by observing comparable wrecks, and I doubt many of the latter are monitored to watch the decay of human remains.

Steve Gad

Feb 26, 2009
After a relatively short period of immersion, the skin on hands and feet can come off like gloves or socks. Submersion under water, even for a relatively short period of time, decomposes the body quickly and leads to tissue breakdown that makes it harder to determine a time of death

LDDavis911

Jan 22, 2020
The body would not be flattened, any more than those of the fish which live down there. Soft tissues are made up mainly of water which is compressible only to a very limited degree, and bone would not be affected. Only those areas which contain air spaces that could not fill with water as the body descended would show much sign of pressure damage - notably the chest cavity. Bodies have been recovered from great depths and apart from the obvious rupturing of the lungs, ears, etc they are basically intact. We've all seen those drinking cups brought back from the depths and compressed by pressure, but that happens because they are made of a plastic foam material which contains mainly air.
Thank you Bob. I've wondered that for 40 years! That makes perfect sense.