Condition of bodies inside the ship

angeline2011

Mar 29, 2012
Liverpool
I just wondered, i assume there were bodies that went to the bottom with the ship (as pairs of shoes were found in the debris field). would those bodies have shrunk/crushed with the water pressure immediatley? poor souls :(

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
See this thread:

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
If, by any chance, there are human remains within the wreck (which must be extremely unlikely), do you think that anyone is going to admit that the have found them? To admit that there are still bodies on the ship would, in effect, be to admit that they are grave-robbing.

Matthew Farr

Apr 14, 2010
Lansing, Michigan, United States
However morally questionable it may be, it is none the less completely legal.

See this article: www albanylawreview org archives/65/1/TheArchaeologicalDutyofCare-The LegalProfessionalandCulturalStruggleOverSalvagingHistoricShipwrecks.pdf

PRR5406

Jun 9, 2016
Maine
"Titanic" is not a grave. It is the location where people died, but it is not consecrated ground. Bodies remaining on the site should be treated respectfully, but I would not advocate removing them or disturbing their resting places.
A train wreck is not a grave. An automobile crash is not a grave.
You can honor the bravery and fear that went on that night. You can surrender to the loss and cry till your heart breaks.
If "Titanic" was an airliner, we would not consider the impact site a grave. The remains would be retrieved and interred or ashes spread.