Confederate Sailor Amongst Casualties

T

Terry Foenander

I have been advised that one of the passengers who went down with the TITANIC was in fact a sailor in the Confederate States Navy during the Civil War. This was Samuel Risien, but I have not been able to locate his name in the roster of the CSS ALABAMA, on which he was supposed to have served. Can anyone help me with this query? Thank you for any responses.
Terry Foenander.

Terry,
You probably can get his service record by contacting the Texas State Archives in Austin, Texas. His granddaughter-in-law (Mrs. Earl--Daisy--Bostick) was a very good friend of my mother and she is still living in Corsicana, Texas--I'll ask her if she has anything further on his Civil War service. Samuel also has a granddaughter in Round Rock, Texas who is 93 years old but I think she is suffering from Alzheimer's disease. I'd be very interested in anything you come up with on your end.

Phillip

Don't know if this is helpful, but once when I was retrieiving some legal records from the Fredericksburg County Courts of Record, I noticed that they maintained the daily "attendance" or whatever you call it...muster...anyway ...of the men from the war there in the Couty CourtHouse as an official county record. I have no idea if Virginia and Texas would have similar methods of maintaining original records or if this is even a state level thing, but that is where Virginia County records like that were kept in 1999.

But I have not researched this from a service record perspective or anything like that. This was just an observation that I made while looking for something closer to this time frame than civil war period.

Maureen.

T

Terry Foenander

Phillip and Maureen,
Thank you very much for your help and I am looking forwards, Phillip, to any further information provided by Risien's granddaughter-in-law. I have already checked the Texas State Archives online Confederate index, but Risien's name is not on the list. Any information will be added to one of my sites at URL:

http://dataline.net.au/~tfoen/

Credit will, of course, be cited in your name. Thank you both once again.
Terry

A copy of his service record may be available from the National Archives. Records are available for participants on both sides of the War of the Rebellion. The needed form is called an NATF 80 and can be reqested from the NARA website.

T

Terry Foenander

Yes, I do have a few NATF 80 forms, but it requires his state of enlistment. Although he resided in Texas after the war, he may not have enlisted from that state, or he may not have served at all. I have already checked the CS Navy rosters included in Series 2, Volume 1 of the OFFICIAL RECORDS OF THE UNION AND CONFEDERATE NAVIES IN THE WAR OF THE REBELLION, and Risien is not shown there. However, those rosters are quite incomplete, and many were destroyed at the close of the war. I will get a friend, living in Alexandria, Virginia, to check the National Archives to see if there are any records for Risien. However, any assistance from others in the know, especially his descendants, would be most appreciated.
Also, does anyone know of other Civil War veterans aboard the TITANIC when she went down?
Thank you for helping in this matter.
Terry.

Tracy Smith

Francis Millet was a Union drummer boy during the Civil War.

Isidor Straus, while not a veteran, per se, worked for a company that did blockade running for the Confederacy.

I'm sure there are others. I just thought of these two off the top of my head, then checked Phil's bios to make sure I wasn't in error!
happy.gif

T

Terry Foenander

Tracy,
Many thanks for the details on other Civil War veterans who were aboard the vessel when she went down. I may attempt to obtain the names of all who did serve in the CW and perhaps use the information at my site, however, my main interest still remains in the Navies during the war. Thank you, once again, for your help.
Terry.

Isador Strauss had been sent abroad in 1863 by the Georgia Export and Import Company to purchase steamers and supplies for shipment to the Confederate States.

T

Terry Foenander

Jan,
Thank you for the additional details on Isador Strauss. I may, at a later stage collate all the information provided, and upload a page of Civil War personalities who were aboard the TITANIC.