Conflicting Breakup Experiences

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
Frank Prentice said he felt the stern “go down and then it came up again.” I would imagine this would feel like one of those drop rides you see at the amusement parks or the feeling you get on the first drop of a rollercoaster. However, Charles Joughin only told of a sudden strong list to port and watched a group of people pile up against the port railing and saw water in the well. James Cameron’s latest rendition of the sinking seems to portray the latter:

(1:10)

But other simulations like the “Titanic: Honor and Glory” team has created seem to follow more of what Frank said he experienced and then transitioned into Charles’s account:

Is it possible that Charles was forgetting the feeling of the settling due to his alcohol intake, and his account of the sinking was rather vague? I know it’s kind of a myth that he was HAMMERED like what is shown in “A Night to Remember,” but I think he was at least a little buzzed.

I don’t think there’s any other accounts from survivors that remained on the stern in the ship’s final moments. Could their different positions create differences in their experiences of the breakup?

A

Aaron_2016

Joughin was inside the ship when he heard the parting of metal and a rush of people's footsteps overhead running aft from the deck above him. If he was in a narrow corridor at the time he probably would not take much notice of the ship settling back as she did not rise very high before she broke. He then went on deck and was approaching the aft well deck when the stern suddenly keeled over heavily to port. When the stern began to rise high up again he would have been pulled underwater as the well deck submerged. I believe this could explain why he did not believe the stern rose high into the air, because he was in the water just as she began to sharply rise up.

Q - It has been stated that she turned practically perpendicular. I want to ask your opinion about that, because I think it is very important. Did you see the propellers come out of the water at all?
A - She was not far out of the water at any stage that I saw.
Q - So that to say that she stood up like that - (showing.) - would be wrong?
A - It would be absolutely wrong.

Yet Frank Prentice who was further aft was able to stay on longer and felt the stern rising "almost vertical". It should be noted that Frank said he first of all felt the ship right herself and then felt her rise up and then settle back. This initial righting movement was I believe the same righting that Lightoller described on the bow when the passengers moved to the starboard side "and the ship got a righting movement and maintained it". Except the stern section did not maintain it and broke off and keeled violently to port and canted upwards, plunging Joughin into the water near the well deck and Prentice into the air on the poop deck.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
>>Charles Joughin only told of a sudden strong list to port and watched a group of people pile up against the port railing and saw water in the well.<<

I can not remember that he mentioned water in the well at all.
However in another version he jumped from the ship and did not stay until the final moments there.

>>I don’t think there’s any other accounts from survivors that remained on the stern in the ship’s final moments.<<

Dillon was there.

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
I can not remember that he mentioned water in the well at all.
However in another version he jumped from the ship and did not stay until the final moments there.

I interpreted his account this way when he said something along the lines of “the starboard side was not rising, but the port side was going down.”

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
Looking back on it now , it's amazing that during the decades before her discovery that no one really put two and two together as to the debris found after Titanic sank to support the breakup.If the Titanic had gone down completely intact as we all imagined the only debris found would have been surface items that washed off the boat decks.Wreckage and debris from deep inside the ship would not have been floating around the wreck site. There was a lot of cork floating around that was used as insulation in the food storage areas, as well as the barber pole, parts of stairs, and furniture.The newel post and paneling piece from the lounge that were recovered should have tipped people off.Or at least made them think"Gee here's a piece of the stairs,and a splintered piece of lounge paneling, maybe things were not so cut and dry.Maybe the sinking was more destructive than we supposed." Just a thought.

Oct 28, 2000
Denial is not just a river in Egypt. Never think that what people say always represents either what they know or believe took place. Coverups didn't begin with the Watergate break in; and they're not confined to sandboxes.

-- David G. Brown

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
Looking back on it now , it's amazing that during the decades before her discovery that no one really put two and two together as to the debris found after Titanic sank to support the breakup.If the Titanic had gone down completely intact as we all imagined the only debris found would have been surface items that washed off the boat decks.Wreckage and debris from deep inside the ship would not have been floating around the wreck site. There was a lot of cork floating around that was used as insulation in the food storage areas, as well as the barber pole, parts of stairs, and furniture.The newel post and paneling piece from the lounge that were recovered should have tipped people off.Or at least made them think"Gee here's a piece of the stairs,and a splintered piece of lounge paneling, maybe things were not so cut and dry.Maybe the sinking was more destructive than we supposed." Just a thought.

A lot of historians and enthusiasts of the ship itself really just wanted to think of the ship as gently sliding away intact with all the lights on and a crowd of people singing until the very last. A very romanticized image was created over the years, but it was pretty well accepted in the community. People still had doubts about it breaking apart on the surface AFTER the wreck was found and blamed water pressure on the descent. They really believed that it was a mere coincidence that there were survivors who said it broke apart and the ship just so happened to be in two separate pieces on the ocean floor.

Chris cameron

Jul 4, 2016
A lot of historians and enthusiasts of the ship itself really just wanted to think of the ship as gently sliding away intact with all the lights on and a crowd of people singing until the very last. A very romanticized image was created over the years, but it was pretty well accepted in the community. People still had doubts about it breaking apart on the surface AFTER the wreck was found and blamed water pressure on the descent. They really believed that it was a mere coincidence that there were survivors who said it broke apart and the ship just so happened to be in two separate pieces on the ocean floor.
That one really gets me, the ones who accept the break up but doubt that it occurred on the surface despite it being reported before the actual discovery. I never understood the doubt considering that people in different lifeboats reported the happening with nothing to lose or gain by reporting it.

Reactions: 1 users