Contacting James Cameron

Oct 17, 2011
What would be the best way to do this? Not sure if any of you have direct contact with him or not but I have always been curious if one of my mails might reach him if only i knew where to start.

Mary Hamric

Apr 10, 2001
This address works. I received a personally autographed photo from him after I wrote him about what a wonderful experience Foxploration was (the Titanic Exhibit there of course).

Nov 30, 2000
I have used this address to send a carefully composed, purely professional 12 page letter to Mr. Cameron outlining my objections to his film and challenging him to a debate. The results of which I fully intend to publish here as it's own article on E-T (and informed him of such). Which would mark the first time a scholar/storyteller has challenged Mr. Cameron on his motion picture in a public forum. With ample opportunity given to Mr. C. to defend himself.
No matter how long our exchange might take due to the post-production work on his upcoming motion picture "Avatar", the discussion should prove interesting.
Thanks, Bob G., for posting this address! :)

T

Trevor Rommelley

Good luck. I have done the same thing on two occasions and have had no reply. He doesn't mix with plebs it would seem.

Nov 26, 2005
I look forward to reading the article when and if he replies. Not sure if I would get my hopes up though, since Mr. Cameron seems to have gone into "Titanic retirement" and is going on to do other things.

You just never know with James Cameron, though. He might surprise us.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
With all due respect, what's the point?
eh.gif

Cameron's "Titanic" was a work of fiction in a nominally historical setting. Flicks like that get made in Hollywood all the time. It was never made or intended as a history lesson.

May 3, 2005
>>With all due respect, what's the point?

Cameron's "Titanic" was a work of fiction in a nominally historical setting. Flicks like that get made in Hollywood all the time. It was never made or intended as a history lesson.<<

I think the trouble with us "rivet counters" (self included) is that we get so concentrated on "nit picking" all the technical parts of a movie that we just overlook the fiction and the entertainment values.

I rest my case with "Titanic" (1953 and 1997 versions) as prime examples.

.....Now....My daughter thinks that George C. Scott-Catherine Zeta-Jones version is one of the best "Titanic" movies. A questionable LOL on that comment.

This will probably sound weird on this website but I think "The Big Show" (1936, Gene Autry) was a clever way of showing movie making, stunt making, travel, men's and women's fashions, a typical fair of 1936 (The Texas Centennial Exposition, especially the scenes from "The Cavalcade of Texas) , et cetera, et cetera and so forth to the movie going public. This may sound like heresy, too, but it's one of my favorites along with ANTR. LOL.

>> have used this address to send a carefully composed, purely professional 12 page letter to Mr. Cameron outlining my objections to his film and challenging him to a debate.<<

I know that Cameron's film isn't well liked on this board. But, listening to the historical commentary by Lynch and Marshall, they both agreed that the film supplanted A Night to Remember in terms of recreating the ship and showing the drama of the sinking.

Have they commented otherwise anywhere? Not that everyone should share their opinion, but doesn't it give the film a little more credibility?

That being said, I wish that there were a way to edit Kate and Leo out.

May 3, 2005
>>That being said, I wish that there were a way to edit Kate and Leo out.<<

Try using "Fast Forward".

>>I know that Cameron's film isn't well liked on this board. But, listening to the historical commentary by Lynch and Marshall, they both agreed that the film supplanted A Night to Remember in terms of recreating the ship and showing the drama of the sinking.

>>Have they commented otherwise anywhere? Not that everyone should share their opinion, but doesn't it give the film a little more credibility?<<

Also keep in mind that a lot of Ken Marschall's paintings were re-created in the movie such as the lady in the red dress on the Grand Staircase; the evening scene at Cherbourg; the "glorious sunset" scene, et cetera, et cetera, and so forth. It is also self-evident that they went ga-ga over the sets for the movie. It's interesting to compare their commentaries on "A Night To Remember" and "Titanic".

May 3, 2005
My quote:

>>This will probably sound weird on this website but I think "The Big Show" (1936, Gene Autry) was a clever way of showing movie making, stunt making, travel, men's and women's fashions, a typical fair of 1936 (The Texas Centennial Exposition, especially the scenes from "The Cavalcade of Texas) , et cetera, et cetera and so forth to the movie going public. This may sound like heresy, too, but it's one of my favorites along with ANTR. LOL.<<

>>That being said, I wish that there were a way to edit Kate and Leo out.<<

I suppose that would be the same for Gene (Autry) and Kaye (Hughes) of "The Big Show". LOL.

T

Trevor Rommelley

>I know that Cameron's film isn't well liked on this board.

Only by Jim Kalafus and friends. They hate the film simply because their beloved TI (a very poor man's THS) wasn't invited to help with the making of it. I'm surprised the TI lot don't hate Titanic Branson given that they offered to help but were rebuffed - that is, the THS got there first.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Only by Jim Kalafus and friends.<<

And perhaps by those who are not his friends (Even enemies can agree on something.) but I think being concerned with who likes who, who doesn't like who, and who agrees or disagrees with who is really putting the cart before the horse. The nominal issues are the percieved merits or lack of merits of the film itself.

Speaking only for myself, it's just not the sort of thing I get worked up over these days. I understand what they got right, what they got wrong, and what was fictionalized...which was quite a bit, but that's par for the course. Hollywood is Hollywood, and called Tinseltown for a reason. It's just not real, it's fantasy and knowing that much helps me keep everything in perspective.

But that's just me. (Your results as always, may vary.)

What I don't see is the point in challanging the producer to a debate on the subject. Not to be excessively blunt, but the reality is that he's not obliged to answer to us, but he was accountable to the people who funded the work. He made the film what it had to be to make them happy, and they smiled all the way to the bank.

His contribution to the real history of the Titanic came later, and it was a contribution which was made possible because the success of the film gave him the pull to get sponsors and make things happen.

We might do well to keep that in mind.

May 27, 2007
Howdy Trevor,

quote:

>>I know that Cameron's film isn't well liked on this board.<<

Only by Jim Kalafus and friends. They hate the film simply because their beloved TI (a very poor man's THS) wasn't invited to help with the making of it. I'm surprised the TI lot don't hate Titanic Branson given that they offered to help but were rebuffed - that is, the THS got there first.

Well shucks, I'm a friend of Jim's. Well I suppose maybe a close acquaintance via cyperland and I really don't dislike the film and love Titanic Branson so not all of us are Titanic haters and Jim's friends. Mind you there are certain part of the film I don't like but there are other parts I love and like discussing. Takes more then a friend opinion to push me around. Not all of us who are Jim's friends are Titanic (The Film Haters). It's just that some of us have issues with certain points of the film's historical accuracy is all. Not I though. I'm hardly a historian only a enthusiast. Seems I can even get enthusiastic over Cameron's film. I saw it 2 times and dragged my family along with me for the second showing. I have no taste as I have been told numerous times.

Geo.

PSST I hope Jim doesn't see this!
wink.gif

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Trevor: Respectfully, blow it out your....

I am NOT a member of TI. I have no affliation with all with TI, other than four articles I submitted two years ago. Beyond a close personal friendship with one of the trustees, I have no connection to the organization whatsover, and would rather my name not be used in any connection with it.

As for THS, about the best I can say is "Janie the Titanic Maid." Tune into Branson commercial radio. Then get back to me.

My dislike of the film is from artistic and historic standpoints. It was equally poor on both levels.

The finer point of all of this might well elude you, but this is a discussion board. I would rather the film not be discussed at all, since it is basically the overperfumed whore at the family reunion which is Titanic research. BUT, if after ten years peopke still wish to discuss why they LIKE the film, I reserve the right to discuss why I do not.

My dislike of Branson, and the contempt I feel for those who created the exhibit is, once again, based on artistic and historic merits (and lack thereof) of the feature itself, and not who is or is not afflilated with it.

Might I suggest that you not draw me into this, do NOT publically associate me in ANY way with TI (or THS for that matter) and that you keep your mouth shut unless you are fairly certain of what you speak.

May 27, 2007
quote:

As for THS, about the best I can say is "Janie the Titanic Maid." Tune into Branson commercial radio.

Jim has a point there. Even my three year old can tell thats garbage. I have to listen to it 24/7 when ever I turn on a radio where I live.
sad.gif

Jul 23, 2008
Hi Trevor

Regarding these quotes:

'I know that Cameron's film isn't well liked on this board.'

'Only by Jim Kalafus and friends. They hate the film simply because their beloved TI (a very poor man's THS) wasn't invited to help with the making of it. I'm surprised the TI lot don't hate Titanic Branson given that they offered to help but were rebuffed - that is, the THS got there first.'

I object to this most strongly! I'm well aware of Jim's dislike of JC's Titanic. However, I would count myself as one of his friends and I love it. In fact, I've followed the criticism of the film on this board with interest. While I don't agree with most of what Jim has to say about the film his observations are, at the very least, entertaining!

I have no affiliation with either of the American Titanic societies. However, you say that TI is a poor man's version of THS. Why is that exactly?

THS got to advise on Titanic Branson? Good for them. Why do you suppose TI were bitter about it?

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
quote:

I object to this most strongly! I'm well aware of Jim's dislike of JC's Titanic. However, I would count myself as one of his friends and I love it. In fact, I've followed the criticism of the film on this board with interest.
Ditto!!

At the time of Titanic's release, I WAS one of the teeny boppers to whom the film was being marketed ~ and it worked. I do like the film overall, but I also fully appreciate the valid criticism the film receives, and generally, I don't disagree with much of that criticism on artistic and historical levels.

Additionally, I am NOT nor have I ever been a member of the Titanic International Society.​