Conversation between Cottam and the Carpathia officer

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
When the Carpathia is first seen in the film, her wireless operator Harold Cottam is seen talking to an officer on the bridge in which they say this dialogue, which I've transcribed from the Blu-Ray's subtitles:

Cottom: They say they always grow up to look like their mothers.
Officer: The older one's keener, if you know what I mean.
Cottom: I know what you mean. Why don't you try giving them both a miss this trip?
Officer: And take the mother out?
Cottom: Yes, you might do worse by the sound of it. You're heating my blood, I think I'll turn in. Sweet dreams.
Officer: Good Night, Sparks.
The scene can be viewed at the beginning of this video; it takes place shortly before Cottam receives the Titanic's distress call.

Can someone please clarify to me what Cottam and the officer were talking about? It's something about young ladies, I think.

May 3, 2005
And probably to show the friendship between Marconi Operator Cottam and Officer Groves.
They were no doubt probably just exchanging some idle chit-chat about some of their private lives. :)
At least in some other scenes that indicated Groves had developed an interest in Morse Code and had learned a bit of it, dropped in to the Marconi Room occasionally and had formed
a friendship with Cottam as a result. Possibly there was more informal Officer and Marconi Operator inter contact than there would have been on a large ship such as Titanic.
I think this might have been true in the USN too on smaller ships.

Last edited:

Julian Atkins

Sep 23, 2017
South Wales UK
And probably to show the friendship between Marconi Operator Cottam and Officer Groves.
Hi Robert,

I think you are getting a bit mixed up here as Groves was on The Californian, and Cottam was the Marconi operator on the Carpathia.

The scene quoted by Dan is to my mind just a device to introduce Cottam into ANTR, the film. There is no evidential basis for Cottam's conversation as quoted by Dan in the film, same as there is no evidential basis in the film for Groves on The Californian hearing a transmitted message in the headset when he went to Evans' Marconi room at 12.15am.

If the Cheetham story is correct, and I don't think this has ever been discussed on here previously, then there was something wrong the Carpathia Marconi set when it got to New York.

Cheetham may have done a bit more.

When you look very closely at Cottam's USA testimony he gives very clever answers, and I think this has been overlooked.

Cheers,

Julian

May 3, 2005
Right on Julian and my apologies for the goof. (insert red face)
I was thinking of Evans and Groves on the Californian instead of Cottam and the Officer on the Carpathia.
BTW what was the name of the Officer on Carpathia in question ?
There does seem to be some similarity to the Marconi-Ship's Officer relationships on both ships.
You get the impression from ANTR that there wasn't the same on the Titanic for Phillips and Bride ?

May 3, 2005
Julian -

I think you are right about the Cottam-Officer scene in ANTR being just a way to introduce Cottam to the movie audience. I think it might fall under the categories of "literary license" and "character development" whether or not it is based on actual evidence.

Were these scenes - the Evans and Groves scene in the Marconi Room on the Californian listening to Titanic transmissions and the Cottam and Officer conversation on the Bridge of the Carpathia based on any actual reports ? Is there anything in the original ANTR book about them ? One nit-pick criticism is that the actor playing the part of Evans is much too old for the part.
LOL

I would have to do a review of the book and movie to see if the Officers on the Carpathia were identified.

I think Phillips and Bride would have been usually busier and confined to the Marconi Room on the Titanic most of the time and would not have had the time to develop contacts with any Officers so there doesn't seem to be any indication of any incidents such as those on the Californian and Carpathia.

And Yes....I am in agreement that Cottam's answers were very good if you read the transcripts of the investigation .

Last edited:

Julian Atkins

Sep 23, 2017
South Wales UK
Hi Robert,

As concerning Phillips and Bride on Titanic, they really had very little to do until they got in contact with Cape Race around 8.30pm on the 14th. Of the wireless communications I have records of, they were pretty 'silent' on the afternoon and early evening of the 14th.

The 8.30pm, if I recall it correctly, was a significant point in Bride's leading questions put to him at the British Inquiry.

There is a lot of evidence that on The Californian there was a lot of interaction between the idiot Evans and the Officers and Captain Lord.

I don't think it matters who Cottam had this fantasised conversation with an officer on the Carparthia, in the film ANTR. I could probably tell you who was on duty at the time, but this is pretty pointless as the scene is a fiction and made up.

Cheers,

Julian

May 3, 2005
Hi Robert,

As concerning Phillips and Bride on Titanic, they really had very little to do until they got in contact with Cape Race around 8.30pm on the 14th. Of the wireless communications I have records of, they were pretty 'silent' on the afternoon and early evening of the 14th.

The 8.30pm, if I recall it correctly, was a significant point in Bride's leading questions put to him at the British Inquiry.

There is a lot of evidence that on The Californian there was a lot of interaction between the idiot Evans and the Officers and Captain Lord.

I don't think it matters who Cottam had this fantasised conversation with an officer on the Carparthia, in the film ANTR. I could probably tell you who was on duty at the time, but this is pretty pointless as the scene is a fiction and made up.

Cheers,

Julian
There is very much fiction in any motion picture.
That is one of the problems for us non-expert Titaniacs on these forums.
At least from ANTR you get the impression that when Phillips and Bride were busy, they WERE busy.

LOL

Cheers
Robert

Julian Atkins

Sep 23, 2017
South Wales UK
Hi Robert,

What ANTR does not convey is that prior to around 8.30pm on the 14th Bride and Phillips had a very easy time twiddling their thumbs so to speak, and waiting to be able to transmit to Cape Race, when it got within transmitting range.

This is why all the 'hype' about them repairing the Marconi set the night before has been or was over played by Bride. From all the 'PV's and Marconigrams I have, via Booth and Hughes, and other sources, Bride and Phillips did very little until around 8.30pm on the evening on the 14th.

Anyway, that is my own take on the matter.

Cheers,

Julian