Cornwall ON Canada27 April 2001

G

Gavin Murphy

Now for some Canadian content,

I am participating in the week long T event in Cornwall, ON (just across the St. Lawrence River from USA) the week of 2-7 April.

On display with be much of René Bergeron's excellent T collection. R is one of greatest pure T collectors in Canada. (See article on him in last year's ADB.)

The ever elusive Alan Hustak of Montreal is also supposed to be on hand.

I am giving two presentations: one on CM Hays and another "T 100" presentation. Hopefully Alan will be speaking on the Canadian connection.

All in the hope of raising funds for the Canadian Cancer Society as April is cancer month in Canada.

Both Alan and I will have our books on offer and a portion of all sales will go to the society.

Cornwall is a long way from anywhere (but then so is SC), nevertheless I thought I would put this on the record for those who may be interested.

G

Dec 2, 2000
Dear Gavin,
This sounds wonderful. Having your book and reading it, I know your presentation will be great.

Having spent the weekend with Tracey McIntire, I know that Alan's presentation will be just as great. She spoke gloriously about the fine presentations in Canada in the past.

How wonderful if many of the folks from up north who could not make the SC get together could make it to support this great event.

Maureen.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Gavin,

I agree with Maureen, this does sound wonderful. Owning your book as well, I'm also sure your presentation will be very interesting.

I'm very interested and I will try to make it to this event, but I can't say for sure right now. I'll let you know one way or another.

Thank you for posting this.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

G

Gavin Murphy

Thanx M and J for your kind comments. J, it would be great if you could attend.

Attached below is a press release that was issued earlier today on the event. René and I are both hopeful for a good turnout to help a good cause.

Kind regards,

G

Here is the release:

TITANIC WEEK IN CORNWALL TO RAISE FUNDS FOR CANCER SOCIETY

CORNWALL, 22 March 2001–The city of Cornwall is the place to be during the week of 2-7 April 2001 to learn about the White Star luxury liner Titanic.

Artifacts and Titanic collectibles will be on display during the entire week at Bergeron Sleep Shop, located at 1005 First St. East in Cornwall. Many rare and seldom seen items will be shown, including samples of tiling used on the ship, memorial books, a deck chair from the Titanic’s sister ship Olympic, and ephemera from James Cameron’s 1997 Hollywood blockbuster movie epic “Titanic”.

The ill-fated ocean liner hit an iceberg on its maiden voyage from England to New York and sank in the early morning hours of 15 April 1912. Over 1,500 passengers and crew lost their lives. Only 705 survived.

“This is the third year I have put on the Titanic display,” says store proprietor René Bergeron. “Last year 700 people from as far away as Montreal and Toronto came to see it. I am hoping for more this year for two reasons. First of all, we will be collecting donations on behalf of the Canadian Cancer Society as April is cancer month, and secondly, we have a special guest for Friday and Saturday.”

Gavin Murphy, a well-known authority on the Titanic and author of “Titanic Victim Charles Melville Hays: The Man Who Built Ottawa’s Chateau Laurier Hotel”, will give a presentation and slide show about Hays on Friday, 6 April starting at 7:30 p.m. He will also give a general presentation on the Titanic at 1 p.m. the next day.

“I’m looking forward to this event,” he explains. “It is always nice to share my knowledge with others on this fascinating subject, and hopefully raise money for a good cause at the same time. The Titanic sank, but the story behind it is truly unsinkable.”

Signed copies of Mr Murphy’s booklet on Hays and the Chateau will be on sale during the week at $4.50, with a dollar from every sale going to the Cancer Society. The booklet was published in September as a fund-raising initiative of the Nepean Museum.

-30-

For more information, please contact:

René Bergeron (Cornwall)
(613) 932-2214
Gavin Murphy (Ottawa)
(613) 957-3556

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Gavin,

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend this event on Saturday. This looks like a wonderful event though and I hope it raises lots of money.

I would love to hear all about it when it's finished though and please give Alan my regards. If he doesn't remember me right away, please mention to him that I worked on the Titanic Exhibition when it was here in Toronto. He should remember me then.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

G

Gavin Murphy

J,

Thanx. Too bad you can't make it. Regardless, I will put a note to the board after the event to give an update on things. The media has been good to us and we have already raised about $150 in the first day.

All the best.

G

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Gavin,

Thanks for posting that article. It's very interesting and from reading it, it is too bad I can't make it.

I'm glad to hear that the media has been good and that you have already raised about $150 in the first day.

I look forward to the update once it's finished.

Best regards my friend,

Jason
happy.gif

G

Gavin Murphy

Re: Cornwall

All went well and Alan, René and I managed to raise over $420 for the Cancer Society. Alan and I both sold several copies of our books, too.

Needless to say, we are all chuffed.

FYI, René and I are doing it again in May in Carp, just outside Ottawa.

G

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Gavin,

Good to hear all went well and that you raised over $420. That's great that you and Alan sold several copies of your books. Just out of curiousity, did you give Alan my regards?

Thank you for the info that you're doing it again in May.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif