Could # 194 have been Barrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I've no idea, and if I may, after 93 years, if something new hasn't come up, it's likely that most all those who are unidentified will probably remain that way. We can guess but we'll probbly never know.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Was he not Charles Harry Barrow? The descriptions also suggest that the inscription on the ring could be BH or HB, so presumably the letters were overlaid rather than inline. There were people on board with the right initials (eg steward Harry Baxter and cook Henry Beverley), but initials on effects are at best only a pointer to possibilities. Items like rings were often passed down as family heirlooms or could be bought 2nd hand from pawnshops. There were a number of bodies which have been identified with certainty, yet were wearing or carrying items marked with names or initials other than their own.

Another significant clue in the case of body 194 is that he was carrying a very small amount of money including French francs. That suggests to me not a crew member, but a 3rd class passenger who boarded at Cherbourg. But, as Mike said, this is a game that's been played for a long time by some very experienced players, and most of the possibilities have been explored exhaustively.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
...and don't forget the possibility of misidentification of bodies all these decades on. TI identified one of the bodies...and DNA evidence proved them wrong!

P

Phil Fazzini

It appears # 194 could have been HENRY JAMES BEAUCHAMP

Apr 20, 2010
Also if i may remind people of possible looting on the titanic. Just cause the jewelry was on the person doesnt mean it was theirs. Give 3rd class passengers the chance and they will grab everything they can which is probably why they died they probably thought ship wouldnt sink so they took the opportunity to grab what they could.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Give 3rd class passengers the chance and they will grab everything they can which is probably why they died they probably thought ship wouldnt sink so they took the opportunity to grab what they could.<<

Do you have any credible evidence to back up those interesting claims?

Apr 20, 2010
No not exactly but explain to me how 3rd class passengers, wound up with gold on them in those days could they afford it. Especially with one body that was said to have been 3rd class having 4 rings on it. And 1 gold earring I probably make more right now than what 3rd class passengers made and i couldnt even afford all of that. Body number 12 had lots of gold on it. NO. 12. - FEMALE. - ESTIMATED AGE 40. - HAIR. DARK.

CLOTHING - Black velvet coat; jacket and skirt; blue cardigan; black apron; black boots and stockings.

EFFECTS - Wedding ring; keeper, and another gold; locket and photo; one jet one bead Necklace; gold brooch in bag; £3 in gold; £4 in Irish notes; gold broach; plain gold wag earrings; charm round neck; B. V. M. ; false teeth in upper jaw; £10 note; box pills.

PROBABLY THIRD CLASS Once again i doubt a 3rd class passenger could afford all of that.

Mick Molloy

Nov 29, 2002
The body of one of the 14 passengers from our parish was recovered. Mary had a gold watch with her name engraved on it, a diamond solitaire ring, a gold locket, a gold bracelet, a wire gold brooch etc.
She had been in USA and made good, and had come home to tell her mum and dad that she was engaged to be married. Her body was returned to the sea.

<table border=1>[tr][td]
attachment_icon.gif
Mary Mangan recovery details
Mary Mangan Recovery Details.jpg (47.9 k)[/td][/tr][/table]​

Michael Molloy (PRO Addergoole Titanic Society)
www.mayo-titanic.com

Apr 20, 2010
wow mick may she rest in peace. Ive to say there were probably some honest folks on board that had gold but the rumor has been going around for as long as i can remember of At least crew looting passengers.

Mick Molloy

Nov 29, 2002
Christina
The watch and other effects were returned to the Mangan family about a year later, but the diamond solitaire ring was never given back for whatever reason. Visit our website and see the TV interview that took place on 14th April.

Thanks

Michael Molloy

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>PROBABLY THIRD CLASS Once again i doubt a 3rd class passenger could afford all of that.<<

Don't be so sure. Sometimes, some otherwise fairly well off people took third class simply because they thought the price was right.

I'm not going to say that some attempts at looting couldn't possibly have taken place but before I sign on to the notion that it was somebody from third class who did such a thing, I would want to see direct evidence that it was in fact going on in the first place then evidence that a given suspect(s) was responsible for it.

Saying that somebody couldn't afford some gold jewelry because they were in the third class makes a lot of unjustified assumptions, not the least of which being that the victim was in fact a third class passenger.

Apr 20, 2010
I guess thats also true After i read one description i actually started suspecting it was actually a 2nd class passenger if not 1st with the Black velvet theor.

Please forgive im pretty new at this research type of thing, so am exploring all theories.

Status
Not open for further replies.